Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • How to win at shinty
  • LycraLout
    Free Member

Volume up and listen to the thwak
    another, better angle at 45s

Shorty121
    Free Member

Whats the ball like?

stuartie_c
    Free Member

I used to play in goals for Lochaber ( a number of years ago). Never took a full-on strike to the head but a shinty ball travelling full pelt and striking just above the knee is a very painful thing.

druidh
    Free Member

That’s got to have hurt.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Whats the ball like?

Tennis-ball size but made (traditionally) of a tightly wound cork core with a leather cover. Small, fast, hard.

LycraLout
    Free Member

wot stuartie said

portlyone

Ouch. I’m getting sympathy stars!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Do shinty players call it a sliotar as well?

bedmaker

Ouchy ouch. That keeper also has false front teeth from an OTB into a cattle grid as a child – even ouchier. Think he may have knocked the front wheel of his BMX out of true at the same time….

Northwind

I hear it crushed the whole right lobe of his brain. Course, he couldn’t have been too smart in the first place to do a fool thing like that :mrgreen:

LycraLout
    Free Member

Do shinty players call it a sliotar as well?

Never heard of that – it gets called camanachd – eg teams like Oban Camanachd, and the game is run by the Camanachd Association. The weapons sticks are called camans

Lifer
    Free Member

Caution – contains blood!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF5HNp24xFM[/video]

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I meant the ball LycraLout 🙂

(Irish) Gaelic for Hurling is a similar word: Camánaíocht (kamawnee-ukt) and the hurleys are Camán also. The ball (which looks like identical to the shinty ball) is called a Sliotar (slitter…ish).

EDIT: it may also be Iomáinaíocht…can’t quite remember.

Xylene
    Free Member

I used to play in goals for Lochaber

Would you have known Alistair Cameron – would be 32 or 33 now?

thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ll show this to my 4yr old – he starts shinty soon!

seosamh77
    Free Member

Ouch, I got to drink whisky out of the camanachd cup one time when up in fort william the other year after a run up the WHW finished with a piss up in fort william! It’d have been rude not to accept sure! Closest I’ve ever been to Shinty mind, very much a chookturs game! :mrgreen:

Coyote
    Free Member

Nails!!!

ourmaninthenorth

I have damaged eyesight (almost blinded in left eye) and three titanium plates in my face. And that was in the civilised version of shinty – hockey.

Mentallist game.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Would you have known Alistair Cameron – would be 32 or 33 now?

I’m 10 ears older… 😥

The name is familiar though – nicknamed “Asty” by any chance?

Xylene
    Free Member

^ Can’t remember now. Got to be 20 odd years since I saw him.

He had a couple of brothers and sisters – Mari, Derri and somebody else.

I lived in Corpach from 1980-1990, Dad worked at Alcan, brother and sister both went to Lochaber High. Brother is 40 now so probably a couple of years younger than you.

Harvey Williams would have been your age though and his brother Jason.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

Ah!

Mairi Cameron was in the same year as me – not sure if it’s the same one though.

I do remember a Jason Williamson

Xylene
    Free Member

Williamson sounds right.

The small world of the internet.

John Aitchison was my brother, but I am sure Mairi was a couple of years older than her.

If you Facebook, there is a Lochaber High page and a Banavie Primary school page.

stuartie_c
    Free Member

If you Facebook, there is a Lochaber High page and a Banavie Primary school page.

Kilmonivaig Primary School for me and I’ve spent most of my adult life trying to distance myself from my LHS days 😉

Xylene
    Free Member

^ Can’t blame you – there were photos kicking about somewhere of the school around the late 80-mid 90s where it was falling into disrepair.
    Stories of water running down class room walls when it rained (when didn’t it rain).

I believe it’s a bit better now….

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘How to win at shinty’ is closed to new replies.