Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • How to waterproof batteries off cheap ebay light
  • sideshow
    Free Member

Who would have thought it, ebay battery packs come wrapped in something that looks a lot like wet cardboard after one ride!

Any suggestions for an easy way to waterproof them? (Particularly for the battery pack that must be strapped to my frame). Tried clingfilm, it didn’t cut it.

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

Condom?

Gary_M
    Free Member

Sandwich bag and gaffer tape work well for me. Stick the battery in a sandwich bag, fold the bag over, tape the bag with gaffer tape, seal cable/sandwich bag interface with gaffer tape.

If you’re paranoid and rich you could then stick it inside another sandwich bag once you’ve followed the process above.

grizzpup
    Free Member

none of the above!! ^^
    use self amalgamating tape – usually one roll will wrap 2-3 batteries. More expensive options include tool dip (fnarr fnarr)

grizzpup
    Free Member

none of the above!! ^^
    use self amalgamating tape – usually one roll will wrap 2-3 batteries. More expensive options include tool dip (fnarr fnarr)

lunge

Inner tube and zip-ties?

sideshow
    Free Member

@burnseybhoy I actually did consider that – until I realised waterproofing the cable exit would be tricky. Would serve a dual purpose on night rides of course.

evillittlegoat
    Free Member

I stick mine in a nitrile/latex glove and tape up the cable exit bit.

househusband

Google Tamiya 50194; thick(er) rubber balloons that are used for waterproofing radio control motors and speed controllers.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Condom for me. Or cling film.

Karl33to
    Free Member

Another vote for the self amalgamating tape, it will do a nice tidy job, be sufficiently waterproof and has the added advantage of griping whatever you strap the battery too better as it will be rubberised.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Google Tamiya 50194; thick(er) rubber balloons that are used for waterproofing radio control motors and speed controllers.

Or just use a sandwich bag and some sort of tape.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

Waterbottle can work, and have the wire come out the nozzle.

I remember someone on here posted a youtube vid on how to do it, looked pretty easy to do.

TooTall
    Free Member

I can seal pretty much any plastic bag / cable interface with some electricians tape. Do I posses some advanced skill that others are unable to do?

househusband

I can seal pretty much any plastic bag / cable interface with some electricians tape. Do I posses some advanced skill that others are unable to do?

Sounds like you have a watertight case, so yes!

8)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘How to waterproof batteries off cheap ebay light’ is closed to new replies.