Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • How to waterproof a birdbath
  • Northwind

My mum's got an ornamental birdbath in the garden- reasonably nice as these things go, but it's some sort of cement/pseudo-stone think rather than a single carved bit of stone, and the winter's done for it- it's not visibly cracked but it leaks. She's a bit upset about it, anyone got any suggestions for how to reproof the bowl? Obviously has to be non toxic! I'll get in trouble if all the birds die. I was thinking PVA but it's not very UV stable if memory serves…

BigJohn

Why don't you want water to get into a birdbath?

Just stick a small plastic bowl in there. The sparrows won't notice the difference, but the wrens will think its a bit common.

Stoner
    Free Member

acrylic roofing paint.

Ewan
    Free Member

The sparrows won't notice the difference, but the wrens will think its a bit common.

😆

ginsterdrz
    Free Member

Johnsons Waterseal

coffeeking
    Free Member

Dry it out slowly and thoroughly (oven at 50C for a few hours for example) and then coat it in epoxy resin (the bowl area). Should help bond it together and last a few more years while maintaining waterproofing.

robgarrioch

We use Sika 4a liquid, mixed directly with cement, for non-structural water-proofing in manholes, retaining walls etc., more for use in cracks but could be added to a sand-cement render, if you wanted to coat the bowl, finishing with a damp sponge perhaps (it is rated ok to use for potable water). You'd want to experiment a little first as it can make the mix go-off very quickly depending how much you add. More than happy to give you some if you want to try it Andrew… (pretty expensive to buy)

Northwind

Ace, cheers folks…

Rob, that'd be fantastic, it's about the size of a soupbowl so it'd not take much I think, so if it's not a bother to you that'd be perfect… Maybe I could get it from you if we ever both make a night ride at the same time? 🙂

robgarrioch

Will take the stuff home tonight (Bonaly, 300m from the corner shop) – no doubt I'll be passing through Currie etc. sometime soon, whether biking or commuting, so can drop off, nae probs.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Gonna have to be a very thin layer of render on a non-waterproof base, is that going to last 5 minutes come a little moisture and frost? I've never done it but my intuition would say not much lifespan as your substrate isn't going to absorb the new material, just sort of "grip it" (unlike an epoxy or varnish that will soak right in and be absorbed), I reckon you'll get moisture btween the two and it'll crack right off. I'd be willing to be proved wrong though, so never thought I'd say this on this sort of thread but keep us posted in the coming year or so!

robgarrioch

p.s. got you a couple of handfuls of sand + cement too Andrew, so now you can experiment a little 1st (you may have to get your own sponge though 🙂 )

Northwind

You are a star, thanks! Just going to drop you an email

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘How to waterproof a birdbath’ is closed to new replies.