Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • How to Waterproof a Battery Pack
  • bobsy12
    Free Member

Recently taken delivery of a cycle light with li-on battery pack (6 batteries wrapped in blue plastic). Battery then sits in a small Velcro bag.
    Just wondering how to prevent water from causing the light to malfunction?
    The plastic connections seem to be a tight fit.

monkeyboyjc

slip the battery in a condom (use a small zip tie at the cable end) – stick it back in the velcro bag.

somafunk

C & B seen by any chance, i wrapped mine using waterproof gorilla tape, you could sit in a basin of water and it would still work fine

breadcrumb

I fully taped mine using electrical tape then put a couple of latex gloves over for good measure. No issues and it gets regularly soaked being in Cumbria.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Clingfilmed mine following a broken condom incident. Works well, but I’ve got millions of watch batteries under the stairs now!

pleaderwilliams
    Free Member

I found some “Liquid Rubber” at B&Q, used for repairing shed roofs. I’ve given the battery three coats (just dip it in the tin, hang up to dry, repeat) and its totally waterproof. Seems very durable, and more permanent than a balloon or tape.

nealy
    Free Member
    gazc
    Free Member

food bag from the missus’s stash in the kitchen and a zip tie does the trick for me. suppose you could double bag it for extra protection

Northwind

Clingfilmed mine… Though tbh my mates haven’t bothered and never seem to have any problems with theirs.

soma_rich
    Free Member

I put mine in a road inner-tube and zip tied the ends.

rootes1

does the battery actually need protection?

ruscle
    Free Member

Plasti dip on mine, works a treat, use some sugru where the lead exits the pack otherwise the flexing of the lead will split the coating.

Plastidip

nealy
    Free Member

Plastidip looks the same as Plastikote

Yes, li-ion definitely need protecting from getting wet

Li-ion cells don’t get hot when charging or discharging, if they do then there’s a problem which could kill you or worse.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘How to Waterproof a Battery Pack’ is closed to new replies.