• This topic has 17 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by hunta.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • How to wash a soft shell waterproof jacket
  • hunta

I’ve got a soft shell ski jacket which I bought a good few years ago for more ££s than I’d normally splash out. It’s in need of a wash and the taped seams are lifting.

The label says machine wash at 30 degrees. Is there anything else I need to do to attempt to keep it waterproof? How do I go about retaping the seams?

grahamt1980

Use nikwax tx direct to reproof otherwise it will wet out really quickly

Edit: if you are getting that get the tech wash too

brooess
    Free Member

Use soap flakes or liquid soap instead of standard detergent

pacef8
    Free Member

its half price in blacks at the moment as well. You can get the tx direct and wash before for £2.50

crazy-legs

Nikwax Tech Wash to actually wash the thing – use the synthetics cycle on the machine at whatever temperature the garment suggests.
    Then use Nikwax TX Direct Wash in Reproofer. You don’t need to dry the jacket out, can just do 2 cycles, the re-proof right after the wash.

Clean the detergent drawer out before you wash it, chances are there’s all manner of fabric conditioner residue lying around in it and that ruins waterproof clothing.

bruneep

After washing jacket in Halo sports wash I’ve used this Repel stuff that my mate sells to good effect.

swillybey
    Free Member

Nikwax do a specific softshell liquid.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Soap flakes by hand or cold wash very gently.

You don’t want nikwax on both sides of your jacket.

I contacted Endura about washing my stealth jacket.

While polite, they had no idea how to wash their garments without risk of damaging the fabric?!

Frankers
    Free Member

I’ve washed my Gore Soft Shells for years on a standard 30deg wash (with Halo or non bio) for years with no problems. I’ve never reproofed them ever.

crazy-legs

I contacted Endura about washing my stealth jacket.

While polite, they had no idea how to wash their garments without risk of damaging the fabric?!

😯

I did mine today actually – just the normal Tech Wash. About every 3 washes I reproof it using the Nikwax Softshell Reproofer.
    It’s several years old now and still fine so I guess I’m not doing anything too wrong with it!

hunta

All good info, thanks everyone.

Any advice on fixing up the tapes? I’m worried that an hour in the washing machine won’t do them any good.

hunta

Does anybody have any experience with these chaps?

http://www.lancashiresportsrepairs.co.uk/outdoor_clothing_repairs.htm

cynic-al
    Free Member

I had a dealer visit to Gore. They said siapflakes clog it up, non bio detergent is best.

coynie09
    Free Member

Never had a jacket repaired but had a tent repairs and boots resoled and quality was A1 worth giving them a ring

chrisdw
    Free Member

Yep. Non bio detergent is fine. Just give it an extra rinse cycle to remove any residues.

RustySpanner

hunta – Member
    Does anybody have any experience with these chaps?

Just down the road – had a jacket repaired and bought a few pairs of refurbed walking boots from them.
    Excellent bunch.

bigphilblackpool
    Free Member

Non bio detergent on a cool wash inside a pillowcase with all zips and Velcro done up.

Washed all mine like this from 20 quid karrimors to my napapijri and stone island vintage soft shells. All come out brill with no waterproof loss.

hunta

So this is turning into a bit of a saga. Without the suspense or drama.

I can’t speak highly enough of Lancashire Sports Repairs. Sent the jacket off to them for the tapes to be resealed, and they sent it straight back, no postage charged, explaining that the seam tape on this jacket is really just cosmetic.

So my plan now is to wash it per suggestions here (in a duvet cover or similar, non bio detergent) and then worry about taping back anything that comes loose.

The question is what kind of fabric adhesive to use? It’s a polyester mix. Would we think something like this would do the trick?

Looks like it’s designed for tents etc., but at least it shouldn’t melt the shell.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘How to wash a soft shell waterproof jacket’ is closed to new replies.