Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • How to up the protein without using powders or overdosing on calories?
  • Onzadog
    Free Member

Been looking a bit more closely at my diet and I think more protein might help as the training load increases.

I keep hearing good and bad things about whey protein (even the isolate) so I’d like to do it with natural foodstuff if possible. However, it doe seem hard to get more protein without also taking in more calories over all.

So, anyone have any good tips for getting complete protein (9 amino acids you can’t make yourself) without piling on the weight?

footflaps

99% of the people claiming that Whey protein gives you brain damage / liver failure just seem to have issues with body building…..

ton

yazoo chocolate milk.

finephilly
    Free Member

Halva, corned beef, tinned fish and peanuts are all around 25-30% protein. So a tin of 300g corned beef for example, would be plenty after a 30-40km 2-3hr off-road ride.

crikey
    Free Member

as the training load increases.

How much is this training?

kudos100
    Free Member

Tuna and chicken breast. Lean and high in protein.

Of course you could just use whey, but you might grow an extra head.

Onzadog
    Free Member

as the training load increases.
    How much is this training?

Just about the move into the build phase of an ironman programme. Maybe not much to some but more than I’ve done before and it increases each week.

bob_summers

Rest, sleep, hydration. Look at protein when you’ve sorted that – I’d be willing to bet you already get enough.

vdubber67
    Free Member

Eat Quinoa

Jamie
    Free Member

Pffft. Who needs protein, when you have Synthol.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Not looking to get bigger, just want to make sure I recover fully from one session before going into the next.

No point constantly chipping away at what I’m starting with.

Jamie
    Free Member

As always, low cal/high protein source is chicken/tuna.

Total greek yogurt is also a good source, but also comes with the calories and is quite pricy.

Just get the powder.

finephilly
    Free Member

You’ll know afterwards how much and what to eat. There is a difference between just sore muscles and the feeling of them breaking down (catabolism, which you want to avoid) as you’ve not eaten enough protein. The problem with isolates is. They can be quite addictive and it’s quite easy to consume too much as it’s not like eating a whole roast chicken for example.

edward2000
    Free Member

Quinoa, and it’s delicious. Google it on yahoo.

mogrim

When I was marathon training this time last year a protein+carb shake was great after a hard workout (speed work or LSR) – perhaps it wasn’t 100% necessary, but it tasted great and was a real psychological booster. It was also a lot easier to sort out than roast chicken or quinoa, however delicious they may be!

Chocolate milk would probably be just as good, though.

cheekyboy
    Free Member

Tripe and liver

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Why focus on protein? Your body needs a whole host of stuff after exercise. Protein is only on thing and only needed for one specific job – to repair damaged muscle tissue, so assumes that you’ve beasted yourself hard enough to damage muscle tissue in the first place. 1g of protein contains the came calories as 1g of carbs, so if you’re just chucking protein down your neck for the sake of it when you’re body doesn’t need it.

I suspect that for all but the most hard core of amateur athletes and full time pro’s a simple healthy balanced diet will provide all the body needs without extra supplements.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘How to up the protein without using powders or overdosing on calories?’ is closed to new replies.