Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • How to tell which headset will fit?
  • pealy
    Free Member

So 2 LBS have now told me they can't get the crown race off my forks to put on my new pair I'm wondering if a new headset might be the way to go.

Currently have a Ritchie OE 1&1/8 semi integrated 44/50 according to bike spec.

Do I have to get another that calls itself semi-integrated or can I just choose another MTB headset? Eg, could I just get a Ritchey WCS from Merlin for £22.50 which looks a bargain..?

Any pointers appreciated.

nockmeister
    Free Member

Here's a great article on headsets

headset standards

foxyrider
    Free Member

They can't even get it off with a crown race puller?

pealy
    Free Member

Thanks for that nockmeister – this will require much closer inspection. A simple yes/no was probably a bit optimistic..

N.

pealy
    Free Member

Foxyrider – Do you know what, I don't think they really had the right tools. And there's a third LBS I've phoned, they've offered to have a go but they also talked about a hammer and screwdriver saying that tools weren't really any use and all fork/race combinations were different. My only other option is Merlin, maybe they have one…

foxyrider
    Free Member

They are only about £15-£20 – maybe get one and try it? If you don't want it I'll buy it from you at a sl reduced price to add to my tool collection 😉 I haven't used one as mine have either been easy to get off or have used split crown races. I can't imagine that knacering the fork witha screwdrive is better than a crown race tool ? Or am I wrong?

Skoolshoes
    Free Member
    Hairychested
    Free Member

Go to a decent shop, they should have a puller there (even we do). Or come over to Ireland for some TT motor racing in Skerries and I'll help you with it 😉

pealy
    Free Member

Thanks all. I reckon I'll give the next shop a try at lunchtime and see if they can get it off. This is the only option for the moment as I spent too much on the forks in the first place so have no budget for tools or a new headset until at least next month..

Buying a tool to sell on is a nice idea but although the ice-toolz version is only £20 I notice that the Park Tools version is £155 – quite a difference! would be looking for some reviews to make sure the cheap one works I think..

goldenwonder
    Free Member

Even I've got a crown race puller in my box at home, crap shop IMO if they haven't got such a basic tool.

pealy
    Free Member

Goldenwonder – surprises me too, especially that none of the 3 that I've tried have had one. You'd think nobody ever changed their forks wouldn't you?

Do you have one of the cheaper ones or a full-on Park version – does it work?

DezB
    Free Member

The cheaper ones will work perfectly – try Bikegoo.com

Have you tried looking for a replacement Ritchie crown race? Might be worth giving Merlin a call. Or check CRC.

pealy
    Free Member

I just phoned Merlin, they said it would be too difficult to get the right replacement crown race, didn't think taking it off the fork and re-using would be a good idea and recommended a new headset. Let's hope Bill Nickson can sort it out at lunchtime..

goldenwonder
    Free Member

I've just got the cheaper one.
    Works pretty well, I've only had a couple of forks when it hasn't been really easy, but still done the job.
    Whereabouts are you based? You're welcome to come & use it!

pealy
    Free Member

You're welcome to come & use it!

Sounds tempting, just used my lunch hour riding to the not-so-local bike shop and it's closed on Wednesdays. Why did nobody tell me! All that way with a pair of v-brake bosses digging into my back for nothing! Will try again on Friday..

pealy
    Free Member

Macavity – thanks for the link, that was useful. I'm pretty sure I know what to look for now if I have to – something like a Cane Creek ZSC-1 looks promising if I end up going that route.

pealy
    Free Member

Hurray for Bill Nickson Cycles in Leyland – He's going to do it!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘How to tell which headset will fit?’ is closed to new replies.