Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • How to tell if you could be destined for Olympic greatness? :-) Sports science!
  • psychle
    Free Member

OK, here’s the deal. I’ve always been relatively fit (used to do a few amateur triathlons and the like in my ‘youth’) and I’ve always been into my biking. However, over the past few years I’ve let my fitness lapse and put on a few kilos (currently weigh in at around 91kg and I’m 172cm tall, so I’m technichally ‘obese’ according to BMI measurements).

So, I’ve just started back at the gym and I have to say that I’m astounded by my progress. In 2 weeks I’ve gone from being unable to run any distance at all, to currently doing a cross training regime of: 30 min on the bike (avg heart rate 150), 15 minutes row (avg heart rate 170+), 2.5km running (avg heart rate 170+) then a session of weights and then into the 25m pool for a few laps (around 30 or so)… All in around 2hrs of training. Perhaps unsuprisingly, my body has toned up amazingly and I’m feeling fabbo!

My question is this… I’ve always thought (since I was a wee kid really) that I could be a decent sportsman with proper dedication, discipline and diet etc but up until now I’ve never really thought about really going for it. But now… being in London, with the 2012 Olympics kinda round the corner, I’m wondering if I shouldn’t just give it a shot! I’m thinking velodrome cycling (1km Individual Time Trial, something like that). Probably totally unrealistic really, but I’m wondering… and you shouldn’t die wondering should you??

So… any sports science chaps on this forum? What should I get measured to see if I have the inherent physiological capacity to reach elite level (with the required training etc)? Where can I get tested and measured? What would you recommend me doing?

cheers chaps, thanks in advance for humoring me 🙂

deft
    Free Member
    samuri
    Free Member

I’d say go for it. However, in my limited experience, the guys who compete at a professional level are a complete different ball game to us normal people. And that’s the key, to be able to train as a professional does, you need to be paid for it so you can train all day, every day. And the mental perspective that these people take is completely off the wall too. Winning is EVERYTHING. If winning does not dominate your entire life, then it’s not the game for you.

Start amateur. Win races at that level first, get a name, then move up.

rs
    Free Member

I’d like to sail to the moon on a boat made of cheese 😀 What are my chances?

Sandwich

You don’t meet the primary selection criteria for new athletes, the majority are 180cm or more tall. It’s not an absolute but it’s a good indicator, good luck in your efforts.
    Abandon all hopes of a rounded personality as Samuri says above. 😀

scaredypants

rs, you’re getting ideas above your station laddie !

I’d suggest you win an olympic gold in a conventional boat first and only then move up to interplanetary travel

rs
    Free Member

Olympic gold? Pffft! I want my intergalactic gold medal for cheese boat sailing and I want it NOW! My HRM says after 5 minutes of internet surfing i’m now i’m in the cheese sailing stallion zone!

rs
    Free Member

Would you believe it! Intergalactic by the beastie boys just came on my iPod, i’m destined for greatness 😆

zaskar
    Free Member

You could always get tested for the sport genes?

Nah just go for your goals-give it your best and more!

(you’re not alone as a few of us have pulses under 60 at rest and make gains really quick-read runners world where you have 40 yrs olds running half marathons in 8 weeks!)

Mind and body. Give it ago, learn and improve-just make sure it’s fun.

aracer
    Free Member

40 yrs olds running half marathons in 8 weeks

That’s not actually particularly fast.

Expat
    Free Member

I am waiting for shagging to become an olympic sport, i have had many training partners over the years and also a master at visulisation. i feel i would be best suited to the 100m sprint as the wife says i should be finished in under 5 second.

Wiredchops
    Free Member

psychle,
    There’ll be physiology labs around the country which will run an assessment of vital stats for a fee. I work in the centre for sport and exercise science at Sheffield Hallam Uni and we run assessments etc. VO2 max, lactate thresholds etc. etc. Pretty good indicators of physical fitness and potential.

Dunno if that’s of any help

IanMunro
    Free Member

What sort of cheese are you planning to use RS?
    My advice would be to stay clear of Emmental to avoid leaks.

uplink
    Free Member

Could’a been a contender

AndyP
    Free Member

being in London, with the 2012 Olympics kinda round the corner………. 1km Individual Time Trial, something like that

You do of course know that the kilo is no longer an Olympic event? 😉

MTT
    Free Member

Yes, it should be no problem, Just get started, let us know when you can do 2 minutes at 1000 Watts and I will ring British cycling for you. The simple fact that your body allowed you to gain so much weight is a fairly conclusive indicator that you probably wouldn’t get past domestic Cat 3.

Best of luck, it really is that f**king simple.

pullfaces
    Free Member

There are lots of proper bike races every week in London, have you actually tried any to see how you cope against your average sportsman? That’s a good start.
    How old are you? British cycling is just bringing through the 19-20 year olds for 2012 and 2016. If you are god enough they will find you.
    Cat 3 is something to aim at for now though.

Good luck

molgrips
    Free Member

Even if you were really gifted for your sport, you’d never have enough time to get great for 2012. Not in cycling, at any rate. You’d have to be the person that smokes, drinks, never trains and always thrashes his mates up monstrous climbs in order to have half a chance.

molgrips
    Free Member

PS I’m taking up track cycling too so I’ll see you there 🙂

crazy-legs

As molgrips says, no chance for 2012, preparation is already well underway and has been for 2 years at least. If you were good enough for the Olympics, you’d have been found by now!

LabMonkey
    Free Member

If you want testing in a ‘lab’ give me an email jrb07@aber.ac.uk – I am a PhD research student in exercise physiology and work at/for Aberystwyth University and we have lots of physiology labs and equipment just downstairs from my office! We can do all sorts of physiological testing and would be able to tell in an hour or two whether you have the ‘potential’ to be an olympian!

Cheers, Jon

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP – if you’ve raced ta reasonable level in teh past, your body can build back up to what it used to do quickly. But if you had a genuine talent then you’d already know about it.

The simple fact that your body allowed you to gain so much weight is a fairly conclusive indicator that you probably wouldn’t get past domestic Cat 3.

Worked for Jan Ullrich

molgrips
    Free Member

Labmonkey – I’d be interested in finding out stuff for a laugh. I train a bit – I’ve only done blood lactate tests but I like data.

The simple fact that your body allowed you to gain so much weight is a fairly conclusive indicator that you probably wouldn’t get past domestic Cat 3.

Not sure about that. Most of the congenitally skinny people I know also can’t put on muscle in any way so stay light but not powerful. Those folk who can put on weight can also build muscle pretty well, which has to help.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘How to tell if you could be destined for Olympic greatness? :-) Sports science!’ is closed to new replies.