Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • How to tell if the top cap needs tightening?
  • rsmith
    Free Member

I built up a bike from new recently and I just can’t tell if the top cap is on too tight. With all my other bikes, you put the front brake on, rock the bike back and forth and tighten the top cap until this headset play is eliminated. Even when the top cap wasn’t tight on there was no play. I’ve ridden the bike twice and there is still no play, I’m just worried that It may be overtight increasing bearing wear…
    Any help would be appreciated. Regards, Rob

wwaswas

you are loosening the stem bolts first aren;t you?

rsmith
    Free Member

Yep.

wwaswas

if it were me I’d loosen stuff of until there was play and then do it all up until there wasn’t.

easiest test for me has been;

bounce bike on back wheel with rear brake on – if anythign on the bars/forks rattles then the headsets loose.

put bike in stand and turn bars – if the sterring feels at all nothcy then it’s too tight.

nickc

The top bolt (other than to set the bearings), has nothing to do with how tight the bearings on the headset are. That is done with the stem. Once the bearings are preloaded, do up the stem, and you can take out the top bolt if you wished.

Olly
    Free Member

personally.

tighten it up as you would any other bolt
    then back it off quarter or half turn
    gently wiggle the bars to check its free
    nip up the stem

rsmith
    Free Member

The bike’s with me now. The stem bolts are loose, I’ve loosened the top cap so it can spin so no pressure, and still no play what so ever. The bearings aren’t knackered and the whole thing spins smoothly whatever the top cap bolt tension? Odd.

nickc

Then line everything up straight, nip up the stem bolts, and you’re good to go.

rsmith
    Free Member

Sorted now. I rode the bike momentarily with the top cap very loose, this enduced some headset play, which I could then tighten as you suggested. Thanks very much for the advice people. Thanks again, Rob

nicko74

Sounds like the wedgey part of the headset (that loads the bearings as you tighten the top cap) may not slide up and down the steerer very easily. Which isn’t a problem – it ensures that play shouldn’t come in too easily.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘How to tell if the top cap needs tightening?’ is closed to new replies.