Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • How to store a bike with the front wheel off..?
  • andypandy85
    Free Member

Evening folks, bit of a daft question for your Saturday night! Can’t fit my bike in the shed with both wheels fitted, so I need to find a way of storing it ‘nicely’, as I’ve just put a pair of brand new Fox 36’s on and don’t want to mangle the bottom of them. Thought about just putting a cloth or something underneath them, but it’s not a sturdy solution so it’s not ideal. Any suggestions? Or cheap solutions? It’s a concrete floor btw.

Cheers all

jimdubleyou

Can you bolt a fork mount to the floor (or wall)?

Like a seasucker mount.

NewRetroTom

Can you hang it by the saddle from a beam?

vincienup
    Free Member

Not a good idea if it’s got a dropper!

Fork mount on the wall is probably what I’d look at.

submarined
    Free Member

Not a good idea if it’s got a dropper!

Absolutely not an issue if it’s fully extended. Beware of the internet.

Handy with a grinder and Mig or know someone who is?
    You basically need to make one of theseLook at this on eBay http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/252118159421

Cheapest way probably involves finding someone with a knackered old front hub, stripping the spokey and rim-y bits of it, and using some metal strapping over the top to secure it to a bit of wood.

theotherjonv

assume being a new Fox it’ll be bolt through of some sort. How about a bit of timber of appropriate width (so 100mm probably) with a sufficiently sized hole bored through it that you can secure to the floor (or leave long enough to keep it stable) that can act as a dummy front hub – offer the fork up to it, axle through, do it up.

If you want to be fancy a bit of tubing (curtain pole maybe) as a bushing so the axle doesn’t get splinters 😉

soundninjauk

I have a loop of string hanging off a shelf at about head height in the cupboard at the end of my hall that I hang the bolt through axle off (flat not a house so no shed or similar).

Goldigger
    Free Member

Delta Bike Hitch Thru Axle 20mm and 15mm

I’ve been wanting to get one of theses to attach to a piece of wood for the car. But after thinking about it, I could make one on my mill and use hope hub adaptors to get the different axle sizes.

simondbarnes

The best option is to keep the bike in the house, not a shed.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Very easy solution – bit off pipe lagging over the end. Not secure but it’ll stop damage certainly.

Otherwise the above idea with the wood is probably a good diy option.

Or get one of those crank stands if it’ll fit.

other options are doubtless available and probably cheaper

stumpy01

I’d either put pipe lagging over the legs, perhaps secured at the right width to a large foam base; block of that hard white closed cell stuff.

Or get a suitably sized wooden dowel that will work as a replacement axle and make a couple of upstands for the dowel to sit across…

mattyfez
    cookeaa

I’d secure a couple of hooks to the wall about 80mm apart, and hang the bike vertically from the fork axle, two main reasons:

1- you can claim back some floor space.

2- you’ll have to re-fit the axle to store the bike, if it’s already fitted you are less likely to to forget it when chucking the bike in the car…

You can still fit a ground anchor and loop chains and cables through the wheels/frame to slow down thieves.

vincienup
    Free Member

Absolutely not an issue if it’s fully extended. Beware of the internet

That’s what I had understood until a few weeks ago when I was persuaded by several of this parish I’d been wrong for years. I queried and no one contradicted so I assumed I was wrong. Beware indeed! I’ll go back to my default behaviour then. 🙂

vincienup
    Free Member

The best option is to keep the bike in the house, not a shed

Also true. I’m amazed how many people appear to keep expensive bikes in wooden sheds. Obviously thieves shouldn’t exist, but we all know they do…

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

I’m amazed how many people can’t understand how some people simply can’t fit bikes in their houses…

Goldigger
    Free Member

I’m amazed at how many people don’t swap their new shiny bike and wife around..wife in the shed, bike in the bedroom
    😀

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Goldigger – Member
    I’m amazed at how many people don’t swap their new shiny bike and wife around..wife in the shed, bike in the bedroom

Your bike cooks, cleans and brings freshly poured ice cold beverages to you whilst you watch the tdf highlights?

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘How to store a bike with the front wheel off..?’ is closed to new replies.