Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • how to stop websites advertising what i just googled?!
  • petefromearth

anyone else noticed this… you spend a while looking for something on the web (current example – towel radiators – dull i know!) then the following day, every website is advertising **** towel rails! too late, i already bought one

this kinda makes it hard to shop for secret stuff – birthday presents etc

are these websites somehow searching through my cookies or browsing history? can i turn it off?

tree-magnet
    Free Member

Yes, they are looking at your cookies. You can turn them off in your internet settings. Or if you're on IE, shop for presents using private mode. Because that's what it's for. Hiding your internet history because you were "buying you something nice as a surprise, dear". No really.

theflatboy
    Free Member

yeah i hate people knowing when i've been "shopping for secret stuff", too!

jonb
    Free Member

If you update to the latest firefox or internet explorer it has private mode where no info is saved etc. for when you are "buying presents".

petefromearth

lol. that's exactly what i'm trying to do honest guv!

anyway, this is a work laptop so i have to make do with jazz mags from the petrol station 😀

surfer
    Free Member

😯

atlaz
    Free Member

It's called "remarketing". Only way to avoid it is what the rest of the people say but if you have a Google acct and you've been searching or visiting sites with Google sourced ads when logged into Google, some of the data will follow you around anyway.

What was it this time, swarfega and double ended dongs?

donks
    Free Member

Is there a setting on Chrome to stop these then?

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Even does it here. Put a thread on about tree stumps next day lots of stupid adds on right for tree surgeons etc.

I wonder what adds the person got who started the thread about Mr Moat ?

sc-xc

donks – Member
    Is there a setting on Chrome to stop these then?

Incognito – on the little spanner top right corner.

dmetcalfe
    Free Member

yes you can turn off cookies on chrome, its in preferences

john_drummer
    Free Member

ok that explains why the OP is seeing adverts for towel rails & designer radiators. Why the heck am I seeing them too?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

ads? I have the special ad free version of the internet

white101

there is a shed company convinced I've shopping for a shed….I hate to disappoint them but there wrong. Subliminal advertising don't work on me anyway…..now where did I put that JML ironing board cover 😉

donsimon
    Free Member

ads? I have the special ad free version of the internet

+1, what ads? I guess the international version doesn't carry any. 😆

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘how to stop websites advertising what i just googled?!’ is closed to new replies.