Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • How to stop someone in the family from driving?
  • deepreddave
    Free Member

Suggest he purchases a new car. A Nissan Micra Sunday. They can’t go above 20mph.

MrOvershoot

fisha – Member
    I had a similar discussion with my gran a few years back. She worried that by losing the car she wouldn’t be mobile, as she used the car to only go to the shops or to nearby friends in the same town. I then sat down with her and showed that by ditching the car and all its running costs, the money would more than pay for a taxi everyday to cover those same trips . . . all without the stress and worry of having to drive herself.

Spot on I had the same chat with my step mother who at 84 was never a natural driver

Northwind

I had to have this conversation with my dad a while back, though it was made a bit easier as he knows he’s got vision problems- his consultant reckoned he was still safe to drive but he wasn;t. No subtle way about it, I just told him outright, very hard to do and really pretty sad, driving’s very important to some people. I drive him and my mum around a bit now to keep them mobile, which helps. But tbh the cost of cars vs the cost of taxis means unless you drive every day it shouldn’t make that much difference.

Superficial
    Free Member

The taxi vs car cost is a funny one. If you’re wondering whether to nip and see a friend or not bother jumping (well, in this context a leap is possibly out of the question) in the car is easy, so it probably happens. Waiting for a taxi, paying a stranger etc is a barrier, for some people.

I know this because for a few months I didn’t own a car. I calculated I’d save money by getting taxis when required. I rode my bike everywhere I could, and occasionally got taxis. But there was a reluctance to get a taxi because it was expensive at the point of use.

juanking

Interesting topic especially the car v taxi debate. To help my mum get about for lunch clubs etc ive set up an account with a local taxi firm. That means the regular appointments etc she has a car turns up at the same time every specified day to take her to and from wherever shes going. Shes found this a great help as the barrier of calling and paying has been removed. Infact i think she now presumes its all free! Its the best i can do being so far away.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘How to stop someone in the family from driving?’ is closed to new replies.