Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • How to stop pigeons shitting all over my decking and furniture?
  • wrightyson
    Free Member

Bar using a gun!! Kids and probably neighbour ain’t gonna be happy if I start exterminating the wood pigeons, so any other ideas. We back onto open fields and get varied birds on the garden but the pigeons sit on the fence and are starting to make a real shitty mess! Plus I don’t suppose it’s particularly hygenic for the kids to be playing up there either.

wwaswas

those spikey ant-pigeon strips along the fence to stop them sitting on it?

bristolbiker
    Free Member

Get a cat.

anjs
    Free Member

Own them with bombers

skiboy
    Free Member

buy a knife and grow wings!!,

i’ve bagged four pidgeons in 5 days, pidegeon problem sorted for another year.

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

With you there…

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/tell-me-about-catapults

I think the consensus was ‘no catapults’ 🙂

wrightyson
    Free Member

Sorry mods I thought the s word would be edited out of the title.

wrightyson
    Free Member

I thought about borrowing a rifle but don’t see the point in needlessly blowing holes in pigeons, or the fence or my neighbours greenhouse for that matter.

maccruiskeen

Build one of those trellis/pagoda things over the decking, nail some plywood across the top, then nail mores sheets around all the sides. Before you nail the last sheet on check there are no pigeons inside and also take a quick photo of your decking and furniture so that you can remind yourself later of what they look like.

crankinirish
    Free Member

The project I’m currently working on has a bird control system. Every window ledge, wall, parapet, anywhere a bird could possibly land on, has a small, almost invisible wire running across it with a small dc current. It shocks the bird but does’nt harm them. This is on a large commercial building but I’m sure if you researched it there is probably something available for residential applications.

Bunnyhop

Buy a stuffed sparrowhawk/peregrine falcon lookyliky bird and pop it on the fence.

philconsequence
    Free Member

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Would this help scare them off?

b17
    Free Member

err… just leave the birds alone??

with life threatening infections coming from cucumbers are you seriously worried about some bird crap?

I suppose you have astroturf because there might be dangerous earthworms in a real lawn? cut the tree down because some sap got on your car? kill the baby swallows because they have the temerity to cheep in the mornings when you want to sleep?

the world will be really screwed if everyone tried to get rid of nature around us.

simonm
    Free Member

ever seen 24 hour party people ?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

🙄

philconsequence
    Free Member

b17, i think you’ll find not all worms are bad, i present to you exhibit A:

wwaswas

so you welcome rats and mice into your home b17?

Pigeons make a right mess off a patio and your furniture, given half a chance, it’s no only unsightly, it’s unhygenic too – I wouldn;t want my kids running around in it.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Park your car under the nearest tree, then they’ll shit all over that instead.

philconsequence
    Free Member

until the pigeons pay rent then i get to say who and what sprays faeces in my garden. might cut down the trees to stop em hanging around. like my dad used to say… my place, my rules. nature and its horrible smelly muddy creatures can bugger off to a zoo where they belong.

Hohum
    Free Member

Wonder if my wife and children can make one like that out of modelling clay or similar? Then I can waterproof it.

Must admit that I can’t stand those damn wood pigeons either as they do make a right mess.

maccruiskeen

Theres nothing wrong with poop – its all natural goodness, as this guy demonstrates – Man eats pigeon poop for $12 and a lotto card (you probably don’t want to watch actually

However, if there is more poop than you can eat for bets then maybe you just need to let nature take its course

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98ako31Qwss[/video]
    [video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0b4TU_R7J3c[/video]

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Buy gun. Shoot ’em. Put ’em in a pie or on the BBQ. If the latter, a pigeon breast marinated in a little sesame oil and soy sauce then cooked with a few sesame seeds is a true delight.

Kill it and grill it….!

Lifer
    Free Member

Isn’t there some foam you can get that makes the pigeons think there’s a fire so they won’t come near it?

Or did I dream it?

mastiles_fanylion
    Free Member

Kill it and grill it…

There is a tee shirt there….

CountZero

This should sort ’em out:

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Mastiles, all credit to The Huge (and his oddly named wife)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Nuge, not huge!

legend
    Free Member

This should sort ’em out:

manual intervention is sssssoooooo 80s. Allow me:

elaineanne
    Free Member

i have pigeons on my roof..they been there for years and they clog up my gutters…grrrrr…. my roof is too high to get up there…we once got a rope and climbed out the attic window to get to the gutter (almost did a Rod Hull impression ! lol
    wrote to council numerous times with clogged up gutters asking them to put up netting etc.. and all you get from them is “if you lived in a council house = we wud be able to help you , if you own your own house then sorry goodbye… 👿
    this year we have more Rooks than pigeons..flying rats…thats wot they are. 🙄

wrightyson
    Free Member

I love having the birds in the garden etc but for some reason the pigeons have taken over of late. They will be removed in some way or another! And as for that crap J17 was spouting, i just don’t want bird shit all over my the fookin furniture when I want to sit down!!

Burls72
    Free Member

Theres nothing wrong with poop – its all natural goodness

People jump of buildings all the time, would you do that?

A parasite lives in pigeon waste that can make you go mad. The brother of a bloke I worked with was in the mad house because of it and there isn’t a cure. It can also cause Histoplasmosis and Cryptococcosis (fungual disease) amoung numerous others.

elaineanne
    Free Member

the late Fred Dibner got ringworm after putting his flat cap down on pigeon poo… lol

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

My brother is obsessed with bird droppings in his garden. If he’s upstairs and sees a wood pigeon in the garden he’ll open the window and clap his hands to frighten them. If he’s on the ground floor, he’ll walk through the conservatory and stand in the middle of the lawn clapping his hands – sometimes he’ll stop talking mid-sentence to do it.

I on the other hand couldn’t give a toss about bird shit – no garden is going to be less hygienic because of it than a stretch of single track through woodland. Just wash it off your decking if it bothers you.

My brother has developed high blood pressure and an irregular heartbeat. Maybe if he didn’t worry about things which aren’t worth worrying about, he might be a tad healthier.

CountZero

Legend, nice shout, but perhaps a little impractical in a back garden. I was thinking more the sort of thing that would fit on the back of a Hi-Lux.

Hohum
    Free Member

^^^^

Nobody’s perfect.

I get obsessed about taps drip, drip, dripping and sitting down to eat my food in the kitchen with one or two of the drawers and cupboard doors open.

I am sure most people have something like that in them.

maccruiskeen

Theres nothing wrong with poop – its all natural goodness

People jump of buildings all the time, would you do that?

I’m not sure how I could have made it more obvious I was joking.

Mind you I tell jokes in the “I’m bored tell me a joke” threads and have them taken at face value, so its probably my fault

coffeeking
    Free Member

if you lived in a council house = we wud be able to help you , if you own your own house then sorry goodbye…

Why would you assume the council would sort out your pidgeon problem and install netting for you?! How odd!

We have about 30 crows/rooks around our house, the worst thing they do is wake me up at 4am tapping at their reflection in the stainless chimney.

Rook tastes lovely, especially done medium rare – like a more delicious duck.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘How to stop pigeons shitting all over my decking and furniture?’ is closed to new replies.