Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • How to stop my HR monitor giving false readings?
  • adsh
    Free Member

My HR monitor (soft band version got with Garmin 800) has always had a habit of giving falsely high readings early in a ride but recently it’s been doing it most of the time. It’s so bad I’ve sacked it for most riding but I would like to use it for turbo training.

MSP

I use a polar softstrap with my HR unit, it just clips on fine. I read of enough problems with the garmin softstrap to never bother with it and bought the replacement polar strap at the same time.

The newer Garmin straps are meant to be better, but I just wanted a confirmed working solution from the off.

Also never had a problem with the older style (non soft strap) garmin HR monitors.

martib

I had a similar problem a couple of years back, a quick search found it was bad contact between the sensor and skin, usually when wearing just a shirt over the top and going fast on a downhill section.
    A simple solution is to moisten the sensors before you put it on, which works for me or apparently you can buy gel to put on the sensors before you put it on. Not tried the second option though 🙂

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Run the sensors under a tap before you put it on and that should help.

njee20
    Free Member

Sod that, just lick them!

MulletusMaximus
    Free Member

Sod that, just lick them!

Mmmmm, stale salty sweat!

njee20
    Free Member

Can’t say I’ve ever noticed! I do wash it periodically.

SamB
    Free Member

I had the same problem with 2x Garmin soft straps. Like MSP, I switched over to a polar strap with the Garmin remote module on it – that fixed things up and ended up with a much steadier reading.

adsh
    Free Member

Polar it is then as I do moisten it.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Can’t say I’ve ever noticed! I do wash it periodically.

If you were really worried you could just lick your finger and then rub that on the strap.

skellnonch
    Free Member

Usually just bad skin contact but It can be a build up of shite on the contacts as well.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘How to stop my HR monitor giving false readings?’ is closed to new replies.