Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • How to stop glasses from steaming up whilst biking?
  • kevin1911

I need to wear glasses while cycling, and tend to wear Adidas Evil Eyes with the presciption inserts.

I find that both the inserts and the glasses themselves continually get steamed up, especially on slow climbs (which most of my climbs are), and especially in the winter (as you'd expect). It's getting quite annoying, and more than a little dangerous when I start descending and hit techy bits…

I've tried using Fairy liquid, rubbed in with a lint-free cloth. I've tried rubbing candle wax on, then rubbing it in. Neither of them have worked particularly well.

Are there any other techniques that people have had success with. Someone suggested some sort of magic potion that TV cameramen use on the camera lenses to stop them getting condensation, but couldn't remember what it was called.

For the record, I can't use contact lenses, and would love to be able to ride fast enough to keep a breeze flowing through the glasses, but seem unable to do so. 😉

druidh
    Free Member

Try slicing a potato in half and rubbing that on, then polishing it up.

Spit might work. Fairy Liquid usually works.

However, you might just have to accept that the Evil Eyes design is at fault. I went for prescription Oakleys so that I'd only have one layer of optics to worry about.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

you can drill tiny holes in the outer lenses around the edges

this doesn't work

you can buy all sorts of anti misting stuff

this doesn't work

you can rub potatoes on the lenses

this doesn't work

🙂

in my experience, you need completely scratch free lenses (and i mean pristine) and to take your glasses off on climbs!

RichPenny
    Free Member

you can buy all sorts of anti misting stuff

this doesn't work

Whilst not perfect, the stuff I have does make quite a difference. Got it from an opticians I think. Almost running out, so will be on a mission to get some more soon.

scuttler

Go faster.

Coyote
    Free Member

You could try using a little vaseline… or is that just to stop your eyes watering?

gusamc
    Free Member

I put my glasses halfway down my nose so I can look over or through, depending on circumstances.

kevin1911

A potato? Really? I'll pop into the opticians at the weekend and see if they have any spray stuff. Prepared to give anything a shot (within reason) before taking out a 2nd mortgage for some Oakleys.

oxym0r0n

erm…

ride faster and stop breathing 😉

nickc

contacts?

Rain X (the motorcycle helmet visor one) will help to move water off the lens quicker, but it won't stop them misting up

solamanda
    Free Member

Bob heath anti mist spray helps alot, try motorbike shops. It won't stop it completely but makes it much harder to mist up.

Coasting
    Free Member

Candle wax smeared on lens and then polish off.Do this twice.This will work.

samuri
    Free Member

I let my glasses slip down my nose a little when they steam up but it's not an easy problem to solve. I had to duck out of a paintballing session a little while ago because my glasses steamed up inside the googles almost immediately and I couldn't see a danm thing.

DeeJay
    Free Member

Contact lenses 😉

robarnold
    Free Member

I also like to wear glasses when riding as I wear lenses and have had a couple of occasions when braches, mud etc have smacked me in the face and i've lost a lens.

Mine steamed up constantly for years and years. I tried everything, spit, fairy liquid, potato, the blood of an unshaven virgin….but nothing worked.

Do you know what I did?

I bought a pair of prescription Oakley Radars with a vented, clear Path lens and clarity was achieved. Sometimes, unfortunately, there's no substitute for buying the correct product. Buy well:buy once

aP
    Free Member

I use cycling glasses with prescription inserts because they're the only ones that work for me. I find that on slow climbs pushing them a little way down my nose helps reduce misting, however this doesn't always work. I carry a clean cloth and on bad days just wipe fairly regularly.

Kahurangi

I tried Rain-X for car windscreens, helped stop misting up but got smudgy and mucky quicker.

epicyclo

Mine frost up in the StrathPuffer, so I've given up wearing them. The track looks much smoother that way 🙂

DickBarton

I use Evil Eyes with prescription inserts – only time I've had a problem is at the top of a hill and we have stopped – they steamed upa bit…but cleared about 5 seconds after moving again.

Do you hvae the sweat band in the top of the frame? I've removed mine to let more air move around. Seriously, there is nothing wrong with the Evil Eyes – have you tried wearing slightly less gear so you don't heat up quite as quickly? That can also aid steaming up.

Oakleys – fine as long as your face fits them, I tried many models of Oakleys and they didn't fit – so I figured wasting that amount of money on something that didn't fit and didn't have any better clarity in the optics didn't make sense. I still spent a small fortune on the Evil Eyes but the fit is far greater and the optical clarity is just as good as Oakleys – buy well and buy once is the right attitude – but falling for the Marketing hype means you aren't buying well.

Kev, I'd see if you can remove the sweat band from the frames and also try to ride with them just ever so slightly down your nose – this will increase the space between your face and the glasses and may be enough to allow air to circulate better and help keep them clear.

For my day-to-day glasses, if I suffer from steaming up I lick the lens…that clears them and keeps them steam free for a good wee while. Never tried the candle wax idea (no idea what to do with that) and the fairy liquid idea didn't really work for me either but I reckon I hadn't tried it properly.

thepodge
    Free Member

the demist stuff i use on my motorbike visor is pretty good. its a little bottle of pink spray, i forget the name

sv

+1 one for the Bob Heath stuff. Does need to be reapplied.

singlespeedstu

You need some of these.

Smith turbo 😉

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘How to stop glasses from steaming up whilst biking?’ is closed to new replies.