Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • How to stop braided brake hose fraying?
  • Alcopop
    Free Member

bought some Clarks braided hoses of that Ebay with an Avid fitting for my juicy 5’s
    im having a major issue getting the olive’s on, nice clean cut on the cable from my trusty cable cutters neatly trimmed 5mm of the plastic sheath off then fraytastic….. it is driving me mad i have pierced my fingers loads bloody painful !! any ideas how i can get the olive on and retain my sanity ,i’ve tried the quality swearing and fist shaking too no avail

Alcopop
    Free Member

Anyone??

devs
    Free Member

varnish. Glue. Tape. Solder. Anything but sitting at a computer!

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Wrap a piece of electricians tape around the hose before cutting it. Open the olive a little before fitting. Don’t be ham-fisted 😉

wwaswas

Wrap a piece of electricians tape around the hose before cutting it

this – plus the pad spacers that come with Maguras include a ‘hose holder’ that means you can clamp the hose in them and then put the whole thing in a vice so you don’t need to hold the hose when pushing the olives in – maybe avid do somethign similar?

uplink
    Free Member

Put the olive on first [before cutting] and then push it up rather than trying to feed it onto the cut end

Alcopop
    Free Member

Open the olive a little before fitting

Its a solid olive on Avids not split like Hope’s,i’ll try the electrical tape idea that sounds doable
    cheers Al

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Put the olive on first [before cutting] and then push it up rather than trying to feed it onto the cut end

Works on nylon hose; but the plastic coating on braided hose means that the olive would need to be opened right up, if it’ll even fit at all. It’ll not be possible at all with the Clarks’ olive as it would appear to be comparatively inflexible.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘How to stop braided brake hose fraying?’ is closed to new replies.