Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • How to stop a puppy from running after other dogs/people etc
  • johndoh
    Free Member

We have a 6 month old puppy and off the lead training is going pretty well – she stays quite close, will stay/sit/come on command however I am struggling with getting her to stay if she sees someone approaching and will jump up too. This is especially so if the person has a dog.

So what techniques can I use to make her stay on command even when there is something exciting for her to discover?

LeeW

Try a longer lead, we used to have one which horse trainers use. (A tack lead?) the do is pretty much free to do what she wants, it’ll feel like she’s off the lead but you still have ‘some’ control.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Make the puppy wear an eye patch. It’ll mess up her depth perception and will stop her chasing stuff.

It’ll also make her look cool and dangerous. Like a pirate.

DaveRambo

Our dog is now just over a year old and we went through this.

It’s not easy. We found something that he really liked and he only ever got it when we went out on a walk and he came back to us.
    When he came back (no matter how long it took him) he got to play with it for a short while then it was taken away and he was praised.

We then introduced a whistle for meaning to come back so we can recall him if he is out of hearing distance.

Consistency and rarity of playing with the thing he likes the most (for some dogs it’s food) means he now always comes back when the whistle is blown.

We also used a very long lead for a while but it didn’t stop his desire to run after other dogs which is what you want to stop.

It takes time and trying to not get cross. Took him around a week to catch on with no other dogs around and 2 months for it to be very reliable.

LeeW

Better than my idea PP.

dovebiker

Have some really tasty treats or a toy that she finds more exciting than strangers, keep working on the recall and make a fuss when she comes back. Works for a Labrador, impossible with a Basset Hound!

LeeW

Everything is impossible with a Basset, apart from letting them sleep.

myti
    Free Member

They just eventually grow out of it on their own but food treats on return helps.

CaptainSlow

Read the perfect puppy by gwen whatsername.

Jumping up – no attention whatsoever if jumping up. Dogs don’t worry about good or bad attention so getting none shows it’s not worth doing.
    Reward when good
    Other things more interesting than you we out walking – be more interesting. Get ahead of the curve, anticipate. Carry pups favourite toy and get that out.
    Practice. Lots of reward and practice little and often. 3 5 min sessions a day is better than one big one every few days.

That’s what worked for ours – yours maybe different.

For your rewards – vary them. Ours is 18 months now and today I had a couple of gravy bones and in another bag leftover meat. The meat is for coming back when called. The biccies are for sit/stay etc while out walking.
    Tomorrow he’ll have cocktail saussies. Another day it’ll be cheese etc

Dogs are hard work but ace 🙂

anagallis_arvensis

Food as above or a squeaky ball and lots of time and consistency. Dont worry about the dog running up to other off lead dogs too much and be aware of whats going on and put dog on a lead if kids are about or whatever.

Rorschach
    Free Member

We need photos to decide how to proceed (preferably really cute ones).

alexb17
    Free Member

Good but I was fought when puppy training was to go to a big field where no one else is (and that is secure enough for a dog) and every time your dog runs off turn and walk in the opposite direction. Their pack mentality usually kicks in and they run to catch up.

I_did_dab
    Free Member

sounds like perfectly normal behavior for a inquisitive sociable puppy. My advice is either hold the puppy in the stay with a lead or collar or to release quickly before they get distracted. The key is for them to know that you are the one making the decisions, so early on make it easy for them.

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Depends on the breed our jack Russell is not interested in food toys or praise, he likes rabbits dogs and Fox shit

johndoh
    Free Member

every time your dog runs off turn and walk in the opposite direction. Their pack mentality usually kicks in and they run to catch up.

That is fine – she does that and I am confident with her when she is alone, but if she sees something else more interesting she will run to that.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘How to stop a puppy from running after other dogs/people etc’ is closed to new replies.