Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • How to stop a cat spraying?
  • TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Had two cats since kittens, brother and sister. Both neutered very early. Now around 8 years old.

The female used to regularly pee on clean washing if left out, but never anywhere else. She grew out of it about 4 years ago now.

The male cat has occasionally sprayed over the years, but only a couple of times a year maybe, until recently. He now sends to be doing it every day, all over the house. Against furniture, walls, doors, kids toys, kitchen worktops, especially at the front door.

Our little boy is 3 1/2 and they get along well, so I don’t think it’s that.

We recently tried feliway, which seemed to work wonders. They were like different overnight. But after a couple of weeks the spraying got much worse and he now spend most of his time locked out.

He seems to do it at any time, whether we’re in or not, caught him doing it right in front of us a few times. He does seem to have a few favourite spots that get hit more often.

Really need to get on top of this as we’re forever cleaning and the house stinks!

Any suggestions appreciated

geoffj

Usually a sign of stress or insecurity. Any other cats in the neighbourhood that have pushed him off top spot?
    Are you giving him attention – playing, picking him up, generally making a fuss of him. That can help.

Shibboleth
    Free Member

Weihrauch HW90 always works for me…

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Yep, bloody thing won’t leave us alone in the evenings. He’s pretty big now and does get into some scraps now and again. No stress though, although he’s probably not happy about been chucked out all the time, but we don’t really have a choice

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

As helpful as ever shibboleth

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Bump

spooky_b329

Have heard that if they have a few favourite spots, lay tin foil as they hate walking on it. Can’t remember where I saw that tip, it was a forum thread and I think the end result was they found a solution and were able to remove the tin foil for the first time in years!

try googling the above terms, you may find the thread.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Tried tin foil when they were kittens, they played under it and chewed out up!

wallop

There could be any number of explanations for this. We have had a similar problem, though (touch wood) it seems to have stopped.

They main reason for boy cats spraying is anxiety. It might also be because he doesn’t like his tray/location of tray/tray not being emptied regularly/not enough trays.

He might have had a row with his sister in a particular place, and being near that area causes him anxiety.

He might be warning other cats of “danger” in the places he has peed, if he’s experienced anxiety in those places.

You have my sympathy, and I’m not really able to offer any solutions other than perhaps persevere with the Feliway (though I realise it ain’t cheap!), put another litter tray in the house (somewhere quiet), and put some newspaper down by your front door for a while!

Boy cats are funny beggars, more so than girls. They have complex little characters, bless ’em!

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

cheers wallop, paper won’t be any use as he’s spraying the walls rather than the floor. Coming to get some more feliway and hope for the best. Don’t really have space for another litter tray, but will give it a go somewhere, didn’t think of that.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

wallop

Another tip – if you need to clean up some pee, use a very thick mixture of warm water and biological washing powder – the enzymes in the washing powder are one of the few things to get rid of the smell. If you don’t use this, you might not be able to smell the pee anymore, but I guarantee you – your cat can.

Terrydactyl

My wife is a. Cat expert. She says only way is to neuter the cat. Male or female

wallop

They’re both already neutered. Cats still pee indoors, balls or no balls.

NZCol

My boy cat does it in one place which is linked to the stupid cat from up the drive who likes to come in and lie down a lot. My boy kicks his ar$e all the time but its so stupid it just comes back. He sprays to try and deter it but its had its brain disconnected. He eventually just gives up and lies on top of it to try and get rid of it which i eventually do with my foot via the catflap.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

Didn’t know about the washing powder trick either, thanks for that one

Inbred456
    Free Member

It sounds cruel but it works. A small water pistol. Catch him doing it and hit him in the face. Cats hate water and hate getting wet. It works for us. We lost our lab last year and the neighbour’s cat a big ba$t*rd started fighting with ours over territory. Our cat started spraying like a hydrant. We then got a rescue greyhound and that sorted that out. The neighbour’s cat only ever came into our garden once and only just made it out. He got an even bigger shock when the dog cleared a six foot fence and chased him into his own house. Oscar quite likes having his own attack greyhound.

TheFunkyMonkey
    Free Member

I want to get a dog actually, but wondered if it might make the situation worse. Fancy either a small springer or border terrier.

Oscar looks like a cat that appears in our back sometimes

MrNutt
    Free Member

Cats hate water and hate getting wet.

not so: Bengals

bigant

Is it the kitty version of tagging then?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘How to stop a cat spraying?’ is closed to new replies.