Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • How to stiffen up a QR rear end?
  • bomberman
    Free Member

i’ve heard there’s a way to stiffen up the rear end (but i might have dreamt it!). obviously a maxle is the way to go but i dont have a maxle dropout but is there another way and is it hub dependent? just wondering as i’m thinking about a new wheelset and i want to cover all the bases…

Tim

sv

Either Halo Hex key skewers (£10 f&r) you can get a better tension than a STD QR. If you want some bling go the DT RWS route.

solamanda
    Free Member

I’d imagine a long bolt from a hardware shop would work and dirty cheap.

rich-6
    Free Member

I seem to remember a thread not so long ago similar to this and i think the conclusion was to convert the hub to 10mm??? but i’m not sure if that was only hope hubs

Ed-O
    Free Member
    rich-6
    Free Member

thats the one

mattsccm
    Free Member

Just use solid axles. Not as stiff as some but noticeably better than QR. 10 min job to swap the axles if using Shimano cone type hubs.

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

show it some pictures of Vicki Pendleton

TheSwede
    Free Member

In the end I ordered the 10mm bolt up hope conversion and a dt axle from the flood sale at crc. The axle was 150mm but I cut it off and threaded the end. £16 instead of £22. Cheapskate. Still waiting for the axle conversion though. crc’s not what it was.

retro83
    Free Member

Just use solid axles. Not as stiff as some but noticeably better than QR. 10 min job to swap the axles if using Shimano cone type hubs.

How and what would you need to do this for a Shimano hub?

julianwilson
    Free Member

How and what would you need to do this for a Shimano hub?

just a new solid axle, the nuts for the outside of the dropout and 2 washers: dead cheap from any bike shop as its pretty basic spares.

just take everything off the hollow axle and put it back on the solid axle in the same order. you might need to move the cones and nuts in or out a bit to get the same amount of axle showing on each side. Look on the park tools website for the best explanation i have seem for rebuilding a shimano or loose ball hub. And you need to take a 15mm spanner out riding with you in case you puncture.

retro83
    Free Member

Cheers juilian! Might give this a bash next week.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘How to stiffen up a QR rear end?’ is closed to new replies.