Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • How to split a Sram chain?
  • preciousmetals
    Free Member

So I sold a gear set up but am stumped as cannot seem to split chain without tool by hand at the joining quick link.

It shows an arrow which I guess you push one way and the other side the opposite but still nada!

Please can someone intervene here with tip or answer as my last chain tool disintegrated (thanks cheaoy mbuk free gift)

Tia 🙂

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

IIRC they’re no longer made to come apart.

But they will if you put a pair of pliers (or even better, plumbers grips) over them diagonally pushing the plates in and in the right direction (i.e. pushing both plates from the ends without the long hole). They should then spring apart (mine do).

Either that or just get a chain tool, or a multitool, you’ll need one anyway to shorten the new chain, split the chain and tell the buyer to buy a new link for 99p form halfords (9speed links work fine and are properly re-usable for future reference).

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Wow thankyou for prompt reply.

I tried pliers but got no where technique was incorrect me thinks.

Off I goooooo…

otsdr
    Free Member

The arrow indicates direction of movement when pedalling; something about kittens.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Use a chain tool on the link to push the pin out.

Don’t use pliars to snap it as you’ll rush damaging the chain or losing bearing sleeves.

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

You can buy specific pliers for these quick links. I bought a pair recently after lots of swearing trying to get my 11 speed SRAM magic link apart. It will improve your quality of life immeasurably and you will wonder how you ever coped without it.

larkim
    Free Member

Successful quicklink strategies that have worked for me:-
    – rest one end of link on chain ring, light “tap” with a hammer on the opposite end of the link
    – tie a strong shoe lace around the link from roller to roller, tie in a loop and insert a tool handle in the loop. Twist and twist until the lace pulls very very tightly on both ends of the link (perhaps squeeze links together with pliers too) until they pop off
    – in rare and isolated cases, they just pop off using just my fingers (but you’ve already tried that one!)

Yak

thread bit of gear cable either side of the quick link. Cross the open ends of the cable and pull firmly.

(a bit like the shoe lace trick above, but pull it quickly and it should come off in one go).

jairaj

make sure it’s clean, I find grit in the mechanism can stop it coming apart easily.

preciousmetals
    Free Member

Jairaj, I found having completely cleaned gearing that the sram quick link is more dirty than the rest.
    I Failed with pliers attempt and have sore hands to prove. (Difficult with 2 broken fingers ffs)

So off to get foc from lbs hopefully…
    Watch this space lol

simon_g

You can buy specific pliers for these quick links. I bought a pair recently after lots of swearing trying to get my 11 speed SRAM magic link apart. It will improve your quality of life immeasurably and you will wonder how you ever coped without it.

This. Complete doddle with the right tool. The opening (refitting) pair is less necessary but nice to have.

http://www.superstarcomponents.com/en/masterlink-plier-set-open-and-lock.htm

mikewsmith
    Free Member

This. Complete doddle with the right tool.

The simple answer to most mechanical questions…

Saccades
    Free Member

I spent ages trying to get one undone the other weekend (replacing the BB), used to come off like undoing a lass’s bra, hold the claspy bit together and a quick flick with the thumb under pressure to release.

Thought I’d lost my touch as I had to get the leatherman to it, design change not to come undone is a bit of a pain.

Will 9spd mtb quick links work with 11speed road chains? I’ve a pack of 3 sat unloved in the shed atm.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Will 9spd mtb quick links work with 11speed road chains? I’ve a pack of 3 sat unloved in the shed atm.

Should do, 11s MTB is pretty much the same width chain as 10s, and 9s works fine on those.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘How to split a Sram chain?’ is closed to new replies.