Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • How to speed up an iPad?
  • pete68
    Free Member

I’ve got a iPad 2which has been pretty good. Now it’s a few years old it’s become very slow and laggy. Any simple ways of improving this or has it had it. At times you could almost go and make a cup of tea while it thinks about doing what it’s been asked!

GrahamS

How full is it?

iPads, like pretty much every computer, don’t like running out of storage space very much.

parkesie
    Free Member

Catapult

pete68
    Free Member

Very full! Any way of getting rid of anything that’s not needed.

pete68
    Free Member

Catapult seems quite a good option actually.

GrahamS

Very full! Any way of getting rid of anything that’s not needed.

How full is very full? Settings->General->Usage will tell you what is left available. If it is below say a couple of hundred MB then you might start getting slow down (no idea of the exact figure).

You can hit “Manage Storage” on that menu to see a list of the worst offenders. Delete some apps you don’t use. Delete videos you don’t want.

pete68
    Free Member

Just checked and there’s actually 5.8gb free so not as full as I thought.

GrahamS

That’s plenty free.

If rebooting it doesn’t bring it back up to normal speed then the next best thing is to plug it into iTunes, do a full backup, then factory reset and restore it.

That often helps clear out any glitches.

Failing that, it’s time for the Genius Bar.

GrahamS

Also check you have the fancy UI effects turned off, they can slow down older devices (in Settings->General->Accessibility turn Reduce Motion to On) and make sure you limit Notifications and Location Services to the apps that you actually want to use those things.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

have you updated the software? my mini has become slow due to 8.1 -8.4 or whatever it was. is it possible to roll back the operating software ?

bikebouy
    Free Member

I don’t have quite the same problem but do often run out of storage and have to clear out photos/music.
    I’ve sync’d mine with my Mac and occasionally if over wifi it downloads all my music and photos, even though I’ve set it not to.
    I do have to clear it all out say once a mth.

So i try to run my music over wifi rather than store it on the Pad.

jonnym92

You’ve probably done this but if not… close all the apps – double tap home button and swipe up.

Failing that back it up, factory restore it.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Don’t restore from a backup or iTunes.

That will put back the faulty error (if there is one).

Apple Genius told me to use iCloud as that won’t interfer with iOS to save online storage space.
    It will put your settings back but I had to rearrange my folders

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘How to speed up an iPad?’ is closed to new replies.