Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • how to space superstar chain device
  • swan0mighty
    Free Member

im trying to convert my 2011 genesis core 40 to a 1×9

i have bought a superstar bb chain device http://superstar.tibolts.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=56&products_id=362 but it comes with no instructions, it came with 3 spacers but im unsure if i need these and if i do where i put them

thanks

tacopowell
    Free Member

I didn’t use any myself, seems to be fine on my Prince Albert frame.

Put it on,does it line up with your chainring?

honourablegeorge

Trial and error using those, the guide itself and your existing spacers to find a chainline that mininises chain rubbing on the guide.

Northwind

The guide replaces one normal spacer. If you normally use 2 spacers on the driveside, the 1 that’s left can go on either side to tune the device (I can’t remember if the SS one comes with skinny spacers too, possibly yes).

It’s a bit of a pain doing that back-and-forth bit, so what I do is fit it with the guideplate against the frame. Then, if the top guide wants spacing in and out, I do it with washers between the guide and its plate. Then once that’s settled, I go back to scratch and replace the washers with the same thickness of BB spacers.

swan0mighty
    Free Member

not winning with this, need the chainring closer to the middle of the bike, tryed so some spacers but doesnt seem to to much

any ideas

thanks

swan0mighty
    Free Member

anyone else run one of these with a 32 chainring?

think my problem is because of the small chainring i cant lower the chain device enough as it rubs the crank

and because its not low enough the chain doesnt pass through the widest bit of the chain device causing it to rub in the highest or lowest gear

is it ok to set it up with a slight bit of rubbing and hopefuly it will just wear a small bit of the plastic away till it stops rubbing?

Northwind

I’m using one on a 32 ring- can be difficult to get the clearance around the bolts, it’s not quite as low as I’d like though it’s still low enough to work well.

swan0mighty
    Free Member

thanks for the reply, will try it tomorrow and see how it goes

hoping someone will come out with a cheap copy of the sram xx1 chain ring soon removing the need for a chain device

takisawa2

This is on a 32t. Needed to get the guide further out in relation to the chainring, so I used some bits of zip tie between the guide & it’s mount. Once set they work fine.
    The seat tube mount version would get around this but the mounting clamp is very fragile. My first one arrivedbroken inside a jiffy bag.

IMAG0519 by pten2106, on Flickr

swan0mighty
    Free Member

thanks for the replys, thought it was just me been stupid,

i put a washer between the guide and mount and and pissed about alot but it either rubs on the lowest or highest gear or against the crank arms will just try to setup as best as possible and see what happens

just wish someone would copy the xx1 chainring and make it bolt onto standard cranks and save this bother

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘how to space superstar chain device’ is closed to new replies.