Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • How to set breeze blocks on a 10° concrete floor?
  • Pook

We want to put a Belfast sink in the kitchen, supported by breeze blocks. Probably painted white. Classy I know.

How do you do that? I don’t know where to start

carlos
    Free Member

Bed the first 2 on mortar so they’re level, stack the rest on top?

nickjb
    Free Member

Or just cut the first row blocks at 10 degrees. If you really mean breeze blocks (or thermalites) you can cut them with a normal wood saw, although you will blunt it so use a cheap one.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    wrightyson
    Free Member

How high? 4 course is 900mm. Maybe go flat for extra bearing of the sink? Waste pipe and hot cold feeds in polished copper and on show?

wrightyson
    Free Member

And 3 course is 675 so obviously more suited once you place the sink on 😳

Pook

Will the mortar stick week enough then? Don’t I need to rough the floor up a bit first?

Pook

*well

bearnecessities

I’m not sure violence will help.

twisty

Your floor is sloping by 10 degrees (rather than being 10 degrees celcius)? which way is it sloping? That is a pretty extreme slope for a floor.

Anyway, assuming the slope falls backwards and you are running the blocks along the slope then just cut the blocks to match the slope.

If you are running the blocks perpendicular to the slope then maybe you need some haunching or fastner or something.

Key the concrete if it is polished.

tonyplym
    Free Member

Lightweight/aircrete blocks are not often left exposed to knocks and bangs because they’re comparatively soft and easy to dent . . . or are you looking for a “lived in” effect ?

Pook

Just something to hold the sink up.

And yeah twisty, it’s a steep slope. The sink would be at the top of the slope/back garage wall.

Pook

hi folks, here’s a bit more info. And i checked the floor – it’s at 13 degrees – you can see the direction of the slope by looking at the blocks on the wall.

Here we’d be wanting to plumb the sink and a washing machine too.

joshvegas
    Free Member

If it was you that laid the floor I can’t wait to see the after pic.

*lol*

Pook

You’re gonna have to explain that

futonrivercrossing
    Free Member

Why the hell is your floor sloaping at 13* !!!!!

Pook

i live on a hill.

phiiiiil

How the hell is your floor sloping like that? Self-unlevelling compound?

Pook

It’s on a steep hill. I live on a hill. A hill. Hill.

cloudnine
    Free Member

I guess the builders didnt use a level and just used the natural slope of the ground to build the house.. does the whole building ‘lean’??

Pook

I don’t notice as I have one leg shorter than the other. Now. How to set these blocks?

jonahtonto
    Free Member

a hill?
    i dont understand why your floor is like that?
    things get built level not just following the local topography.
    level the floor out mun, then you wont have to prop your fridge up on bricks!

i suppose you could make a shutter and pour some concrete in to level it off before you lay the blocks maybe. if your set on the idea of a sloping floor, could make a plinth for the fridge while your at it

Pook

Ok. I’ll level the floor. I’ll have a foot gap to get into my garage but you’re the expert.

WillH

Why not just level the floor locally, to create a little plinth for the sink and mashing machine to sit on? Knock together some shuttering and fill with concrete. You’ll be creating a ‘wedge’ of concrete, and with a washing machine vibrating away on top it may attempt to travel down the slope. To counter this I’d drill two or three holes in the floor, along the width of where the plinth is going to go, and stick some short lengths (100mm) of rebar in. Say 50mm deep holes, with 50mm rebar sticking out. When you pour the concrete the rebar will be covered, and these pegs will anchor the plinth and stop it going anywhere.

Like this naff-tastic Word-art technical drawing:
    [/url]Plinth by W Hyde, on Flickr[/img]

JoeG
    Free Member

Pook – Member

I don’t notice as I have one leg shorter than the other.

😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Pook – Member
    Ok. I’ll level the floor. I’ll have a foot gap to get into my garage but you’re the expert.

I think we have those covered in the building side of things

As a short term on the plinth to make everything from a level base sounds like the best idea, just make sure you pay extra for the self levelling concrete

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

A 13 degree hill?

I live on a steep hill and the floor is, um, level…….

kayak23

Why not just batten and plasterboard the wall out at the top so it’s 90 degrees to the existing floor?
    Problem solved.
    😉

joshvegas
    Free Member

Like this naff-tastic Word-art technical drawing

Perspective is a bit off but nice attention to detail with the hidden line.

8/10

If only you’d done the original drawings.

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

The topic ‘How to set breeze blocks on a 10° concrete floor?’ is closed to new replies.