• This topic has 13 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Muke.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • How to sending a van axle – request for advice
  • keppoch

I need to send a small van axle from Cardiff to Kent. The axle measures 142 x 28 x 28 cm and is fairly weighty but easily lifted by two so I am guessing <50Kg.

The actual speed of delivery is not critical but getting it on its way is (it is an Ebay return and I only have two days to get it moving to ensure my refund).

I’m looking to minimise the cost of delivery as it will come out of my refund, hopefully to less than £50.

Pallet delivery was previously suggested to do this but the issue is that on a 120 x 100 cm pallet (which I understand is the typical size) the axle would have small overhangs even on the diagonal. Is this critical/a problem?

But the main issue is how do I arrange this? I’m well versed in sending smaller parcels but have never sent something like this. Who would people suggest I arrange with and can I just leave it outside a house for collection?

Looking to arrange today/tomorrow for Friday pick up.

geoffj

Paisley Freight

maccruiskeen

What carrier delivered it and how was it packaged for that?

Aside from paisley freight you could try tuffnells or the Anyvan website. The latter might not provide you with the tracking numbers you’d want for eBay’s purposes though

keppoch

maccruiskeen – I’m not sure who delivered it as it was sent to my garage but it was lashed to a small pallet with a couple of manky old seatbelt offcuts!

singletrackmind

Put on a std pallet diagonally . There will be minimum overhang.
    We use palletline and on an economy 48hr service that would be £39
    How you go about it as an individual I have no idea.

Madfly
    Free Member

TNT will do it for £40 inc VAT:
    interparcel.com

Easy for non companies to order, I’ve used this service a fair few times. You’ll need to put it in some basic packaging though.

johnners
    Free Member

Wot he said. Diagonal on a 120*100 pallet is 156.

aracer
    Free Member

What’s the height limit on your pallet? If you need to reduce overhang to zero, then go 3D and lift one end of the axle.

Still some overhang though given 28cm width (CBA to do the proper calcs, but at 7cm in from the corner of the pallet the width before overhang is ~14cm).

keppoch

Wot he said. Diagonal on a 120*100 pallet is 156.

But the axle has a width of 28… so it doesn’t fit within so this is a way to tackle that:

go 3D and lift one end of the axle.

But I like the TNT suggestion so long as my guess of the weight is right! Seems simple.

maccruiskeen

You don’t need to guess- just stick one end at a time on some bathroom scales. ‘Two people being able to lift’ it puts the weight anywhere between 30 and 100 kg.

PePPeR

Just ask for a return through eBay and they’ll normally send you a label and where to drop it off at…

Steelsreal

anyvan website will have local men in vans who will do it without too much hassle or pallets etc…

Steelsreal

anyvan website will have local men in vans who will do it without too much hassle or pallets etc…

Muke
    Free Member
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘How to sending a van axle – request for advice’ is closed to new replies.