Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • How to sell a jones plus, and try another bike…
  • lexhorton
    Free Member

I have a very new jones plus.
    It’s great on so many levels but I’m pretty sure I need front suspension to deal with a busted wrist.
    I’ve really dialled in the fit but anything bumpy that catches me out leads to pain through the week after.

Got a feeling I should get a Stanton Sherpa 27+ , it’s actually where my research started but I found the jones.

What would you do to transition between the 2? I don’t really want two bikes and I have a hunch that I can sell the jones as a rolling chassis with bars steam and seat post more easily than as a complete.

Then I can take parts across to a Stanton rolling chassis and I’m set.
    I lose a load of money and lose an ‘everyday’ bike but I can hopefully ride the way I want to.

feels like I could end up with 2 chassis for a bit and see what happens

Any advice greatly appreciated

akira

Jones’s tend to go for pretty good money as they don’t come up second hand very often. I’d say the rolling chassis of frame, forks, headset, bb and wheels would go pretty easily and you wouldn’t lose too much cash. Stem and seatpost only really useful if you sell to someone the same build as you.

ton

what wheels you got on the jones? i would be interested in them.

Andy

Keep all the parts that would transfer. Buy Sherpa. Build. Split Jones and sell is how i would do it

Oh and email in profile for Jones please. Very interested 😀

akira

Also post some pics, Jones threads must always have pics.

slowster
    Free Member

The increased price now of a brand new Jones frame, due to the drop in Sterling following the referendum, should make a used frame much more attractive to potential buyers.

However, it sounds like you really need to get some test rides in (preferably very testing rides of both the bike and your wrist) before buying anything else, so that before you part with your money you are sure that whatever bike you choose is going to cure the problem, or at least make it much better.

Gotama
    Free Member

If your Plus is a 25″ drop me an email (mail in profile) as I am interested.

But irrespective of the above, if it’s not possible to enjoy riding the Jones as you wish to then why keep it? It’s not as if building the Stanton up is going to suddenly allow you to ride the Jones. I recall your original thread and it does unfortunately sound like suspension is the best solution. I can’t remember the travel a Stanton is based around but something designed around 140mm may be more fitting for you, simply because you could run the forks so they’re supple off the top and then ramp up through the travel thereby giving your wrist as much protection as possible.

And if you’re anywhere near Surrey Hills then I’m happy to let you have a ride on my 140mm full sus 29er to see if fork travel does help.

metalheart
    Free Member

Well, here’s what a Sherpa B+ Looks like 🙂

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5537/30550220472_0b45015a79_c.jpg[/img]
    Sherpa at the Fungle by Metalheart-UK, on Flickr\

Advice would be as follows:

Scraper rims are chuffing heavy. Consider 35’s if weight is an issue.
    What gearing you want to run? 2×11 and 3″ only work if you go Boost cranks. Consider the likes of the Ranger Tough 2.8″ on the rear as well. 1x I don’t know but assume ok with 3″
    I found sizing a little short on the TT (and 50mm stem on a 19″, and that was coming from a medium Solaris).
    You’ll need boost on the front (and matching forks).
    Sherpa can run 135,142 or Boost as they have swappable dropouts. Think 142 bolt through is their ‘standard’, Gives good options for wheels.

timbur
    Free Member

Steve – I think Biff might have a 25″ plus demo bike for sale. Fairly sure he mentioned it.

Gotama
    Free Member

Thanks Tim, will drop him a line on Monday

Clink

As above drop me an email please if you do sell the Jones and it’s a 24.

lexhorton
    Free Member

thanks for the input everyone.
    looks like i could sell this should i need to.
    the last experiment is to try this jones with a riser bar with less sweep, i’ve got a hunch that the bars might be doing me in weirdly, i’m constantly shifting around on them and my hands want to be square not swept.

once you start looking at jones alternatives and want a high stack, short top, rack mounts etc (child seat for family days), it gets tough to find something thats just right for everything.

not surprising…

Cheezpleez

Riser bar? On a Jones? Now where did I put that pitchfork…

ianfitz
    Free Member

I’d start with a stealth advert TBH.

That will probably generate enough interest for some to make you an offer.

Oh, wait…

😉

paule
    Free Member

While it’s probably heresy, has anyone tried a Jones with suspension on the front?

birdage

Would be interested in the bars if you sell them. Sorry to hear about your ongoing wrist problems. I’ve got a kind of ‘reverse’ trigger finger that I put down to riding rigid and generally feel more beaten up than I used to! Still can’t quite bring myself to try suspension though. If it starts taking me longer than a week to recover than who knows!? As has been mentioned core strength and a looser grip makes a lot of difference. Oh yes and picking a good line.

flashes
    Free Member

I sold my Jones Spaceframe, rolling chassis and transferred all the interchangable parts to the new build and then again when I sold that. I sold it through here. Count on losing money and it’ll fly…..

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘How to sell a jones plus, and try another bike…’ is closed to new replies.