• This topic has 24 replies, 19 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by cp.
Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • How to sell a DSLR?
  • footflaps

I’ve got a Nikon D4 body I want to sell, but don’t really know where the best place to sell it is?

Ebay sells a few but the fees are massive 10% + 3.5% paypal + listing & postage fees which all in will be > £250.

Amazon seems to only charge 7% on consumer electronics, which is more reasonable….

Do people look for high end cameras on things like Craig’s List?

Also, how do you post a camera with insurance for over £2k? Do the like of TNT etc offer this?

andyl
    Free Member

you could make a stealth advert in the chat section of a forum frequented by people that might have the funds and interest in said camera… 😉

Amazon does sound like a good bet I guess. How is the money handled? is it fairer in the case of a dispute than paypal?

I would say sign up to a photography site bit it’s not really on to sign up to sell. Do you know anyone on one who could sell on your behalf?

edit: craiglist just makes me think of dodgy scams and random hook-ups.

Decent couriers will offer suitable insurance.

You could also go to your local camera store that does used stuff but it will be like selling a car to a dealer I guess. What you lose in money you will gain in ease of transaction and security.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Camera forums are usually the best place to sell that sort of thing. Make sure you list how many actuations etc.

footflaps

you could make a stealth advert in the chat section of a forum frequented by people that might have the funds and interest in said camera…

99.9% of camera threads on here are about cameras which cost 10% of a D4, so I’m not expecting to sell it on here!

Do you know anyone on one who could sell on your behalf?

The only other pro Nikon user I know sells through his local camera shop (London Camera Exchange), but he reckons their fees are about 15% and might be more for a camera body as they warranty it. So it’s not much better than Ebay.

You could also go to your local camera store

That would be where I bought it, Jessops, sadly no longer trading in Cambridge.

Camera forums are usually the best place to sell that sort of thing. Make sure you list how many actuations etc.

Not a bad idea, I do have a very rarely used account on dpreview and it looks like I can post it on there…….

andyl
    Free Member

Local photography society? Cambridge Uni one?

footflaps

Local photography society? Cambridge Uni one?

Yep, good ideas. I will investigate. I think I’ll list it on dpreview as a starting point…

dropoff

WEX or MBP photo. Both buy used kit

AlexSimon

I sold both my previous Canon bodies on AVforums, although everyone always tries to haggle like mad. In the end I did a bit better than I would have on ebay, but not much.

Ebay fees have a cap – it’s not X% of Xtotal

hammyuk
    Free Member

Always use eBay, pick up only than “mutually cancel the transaction” – not that I advocate avoiding the extortionate fees they charge obviously….

CraigW
    Free Member

Ebay fees have a cap – it’s not X% of Xtotal

The cap is now £250 of the total (including postage). Plus still Paypal fees on top of that.

keng38
    Free Member

Gumtree?

manitou
    Free Member

Grays of Westminster in London deal exclusively with Nikon.They sell second hand equipment. Ive bought stuff from them.

http://www.graysofwestminster.co.uk/

manitou
    Free Member

why are you selling it ?

squirrelking
    Free Member

Amazon now want a copy of your passport or driving licence due to “EU rules on money laundering” before they will allow you to sell.

I am no longer a seller.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Talkphotography.co.uk or stick it on eBay with a uber high Start and ask for bidders to contact you first.

skids
    Free Member

Try gumtree, you might get lucky, but it’s a pretty niche item. ebay might be the the only place to get a decent audience of potential buyers and paying the fees is better than not being able to sell it at all. Amazon not keen on non business sellers these day

Matt-P
    Free Member

I’ve sold plenty of stuff on TalkPhotography.co.uk, but they have minimum post rules to access classifieds.

MPB is also well regarded, you’ll get a bit less than a good private sale but a very fast efficient service when you want to get rid of some kit.

finishthat
    Free Member

Companies like ffordes will do a commission sale as will others – this would be the safest bet – if you use any private sale ebay etc – then collect only and/or due diligence in checking the buyer . Otherwise use it as a trade in ?

footflaps

why are you selling it ?

I bought the D4s when it came out, and don’t need two top end bodies, so have been meaning to sell the D4 for ages, but just not got round to it….

peteimpreza

Sold mine at work via the electronic notice board.

It does help there is a pool of 2000 plus people to advertise to

geetee1972
    Free Member

I feel your pain about selling pricey kit on eBay and the fees that you incur as a result, but threre’s no getting away from the fact that if you list optimise your listing (so offering it internationally, select 10 day auction, start it at 1p, lots of photo’s, accept returns etc), you will get as close to 100% of it’s true value as is possible.

Selling it any other way is likely to result in you effectively selling it at a discount to that price. I’d be surprised if actually the fees from eBay and that discount for selling it at what you think is the maximum it should sell for, aren’t about the same.

footflaps

Sold it via a Facebook group in the end:

“Buy Sell Swap Camera and Photography Gear – UK”

https://www.facebook.com/groups/363935843617320/?ref=ts&fref=ts

ampthill

You could look at Ffordes. They take 20% but then you’ll get more for it

cp

Sold it via a Facebook group in the end

I think he’s sorted 😉

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘How to sell a DSLR?’ is closed to new replies.