Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)
  • How to seek redress from builder (Taylor Wimpey)? Small Claims? NHBC?
  • curiousyellow
    Free Member

I’ve been trying to keep calm about this situation I’ve found myself in, but I think I’m at my wits’ end now. I’m hoping someone here can help me out please.

The story is we had a blown worktop in our kitchen, which has an “L” shaped surface, the “blow” was on the longer side of the “L”. We reported it as it was covered under the 2 year guarantee for things like that. Taylor Wimpey then dragged their heels about replacing it and we had to get the NHBC involved. NHBC agreed that it was faulty and asked the builder to fix it. Taylor Wimpey instructed a subcontractor (JJL) to replace the worktop.

Since then there’s been problem after problem. Starting with the wrong length/width worktop being ordered, then taking months to get the right length sorted out (while we stored the worktop for them), then turning up without having a gas safe plumber so they couldn’t do the work, and then finally fitting it and getting the measurements wrong, meaning they had to bodge a join on both the long and short bits of the “L”, and didn’t bother to even match the patterns in the worktop. It looks like shit.

I’d been pretty patient up till then, but nearly 2 years on (I reported the problem in May 2015) I decided to lose it a bit. I told them in December I’d give them till Jan this year to sort it out once and for all, or I’d go to small claims court. All very civilly of course. They’ve now turned up with the wrong length worktop – again – and tried to argue they didn’t have to match the pattern. I very civilly told them the pattern matched before, so it wasn’t unreasonable to have it match again.

If I go to small claims court, then what can I claim for? Can I ask for what it would cost for a local kitchen fitter to do the work? Or can I also ask for some consideration of my time? They’ve visited 4 times, and every time we have to clear out the kitchen and do some clean up afterwards. The workmen’s supervisor dropped by today and 5 minutes after finding out began effing and blinding about how Tailor Wimpey were shit, even though it was his guys who’d taken the measurements. I’ve got no confidence the subby is going to sort the work. I’ve spoken to the NHBC and they’ve said they’ll speak to Tailor Wimpey and come to an agreement. Personally, it feels like the only thing it makes sense to do is take control of the situation and get someone in to do the work.

Right now, I’ve told them to replace what they’ve come to do – the short length – because at least it gets rid of one of the joins, and if I do go to court they can’t argue I’ve been unreasonable.

Any help very gratefully received. Sorry for the epic post. It’s been an emotional rollercoaster 😀

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

What happens if I am not satisfied?
    If you are still not satisfied then you should refer to the Managing Director at the regional office with which you have been dealing.
    The Managing Director will acknowledge all complaints within 2 working days. They will either reply fully within 7 working days of receipt or reply within 7 working days to advise you of the steps they are taking and giving a date by which they will be able to reply fully.

Complain via Taylor Wimpey complaints process. Escalate as required.

No, you shouldn’t have to, but…

curiousyellow
    Free Member

@hebdencyclist I’ve already tried that as I originally reported it to Tailor Wimpey, answer came there none. I’ll try again, thanks for taking the time to read this.

dmorts

Sounds like the root of the issue is the sub-contractor but that’s not your issue to sort.

Who have you contacted at Taylor Wimpey? It can be worthwhile contacting someone like the regional manager/director if you can find contact details. If you highlight things like this to the right person it’ll get sorted swiftly.

We had an issue with our new build that wasn’t getting sorted. In the welcome pack they had all of the details of the regional management team and we just dropped one of them an email. Things moved very quickly then!

curiousyellow
    Free Member

@dmorts it was the MD for our regional office. I’m trying again, but JJL blame TW and TW just ignore my e-mails. I’ve got multiple promises from them to call, or mail which never materialised leaving me to chase them for nearly 2 years.

The subby has been pretty shit to deal with, so I don’t really want them to be the people doing the work. I don’t think the guys they’re using are kitchen fitters. Just odd job guys.

scud
    Free Member

Find out Taylor Wimpey Head office address address it to CEO and person in charge of complaints, give them 14 days to redress the problem otherwise you will be issuing Small Claims proceedings (can easily do online)

https://www.gov.uk/make-court-claim-for-money/overview

Issue against Taylor Wimpey, it was their sub contractor and they have to stand by the contractors work.

At the end of the day, the work needs to be done to a reasonable standard and to place you back in the position you would have been without the damage, so the work top should match the rest.

lowey

Tell the NHBC about the ongoing issues. You could get another person in to correct the problem and send NHBC the bill. They will seek redress from TW.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

@scud I’ve already tried whoever the MD was, but I’ll try again. I think others on the estate have had similar issues with customer services flat out ignoring them.

I just had a chat with CS and they’ve asked to take another look. It’s worth a shot I guess.

I’m just wondering at which point you go enough is enough and just pay someone to do it. These guys have visited my house 4 times and not fixed it. Why would number 5 be the charm if they’re using the same subby?

@lowey I called the NHBC today. They want to get one of their inspectors in to look at it again and speak to TW to fix it. I’m not sure what that will yield to be honest.

bruneep
    franksinatra

How about writing to them to request that they complete the work to your satisfaction in 14 days or you will instruct the work yourself and claim back the cost through the small claims court?

Can always go public as well, seems to be the way to get companies to pay attention nowadays.

@TWimpeySupport
    Face Book Taylor Wimpey

hooli

+1 for Twitter, this is the only thing I use it for and it normally works a treat in situations like this.

That or send a letter, registered post to TW detailing all the issues, times etc and let them know if it is not sorted by XX date, you will get it done privately and bill them. If you put “notice before action” at the top of the letter, it seems to get people moving.

This should also give you a better chance of getting a result at Small claims if you end up going that way. The issue you may have is they will argue they are addressing it and the claim wont go your way.

All IMO of course.

scud
    Free Member

@scud I’ve already tried whoever the MD was, but I’ll try again. I think others on the estate have had similar issues with customer services flat out ignoring them.

The point there was not to expect them to do anything really, it was to issue Small Claims proceedings with best practise, giving them 14 days to redress issue. Then if they question why they are being dragged to Court, you show that you gave them 14 days notice of the fact and they chose not to address that on top of the already long list of problems you’ve had

curiousyellow
    Free Member

@scud ah, so it’s to have a documented trail of them doing sweet Fanny Adams about it?

It’s not been a great day to be honest. The builders have finished up, but it’s only brought to light that when the kitchen was originally done they didn’t fix the integrated cooker to the cabinets. Is this standard practice?

BlindMelon
    Free Member

OP where are you based? I’ve a few contacts in TW

Cougar

Four visits in two years? You’re a more patient man than I, never mind Twitter I’d have been on their front doorstep with a pair of New Rocks on.

Point of order on the blame: Your contract is with TW, end of story. Whether the fault lies with TW or the contractor or the Princess of Monaco is irrelevant, it’s TW who are legally bound to sort it out. Quite why the contractor’s supervisor is in your house I’ve no idea, it’s TW he should be grovelling to.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

@BlindMelon Bracknell! mailtocuriousyellow at gmail dot com if you want to talk off the forum. Really appreciate it.

@Cougar losing it at them hasn’t helped my cause. Ultimately, they’re just trying to do a job and I just want them to do it 🙁

wwaswas

they’re just trying to do a job

4 visits in 2 years?

They’re doing their best to minimise cost to them and get you to give up…

Cougar

@Cougar losing it at them hasn’t helped my cause. Ultimately, they’re just trying to do a job and I just want them to do it

By “them” I meant Taylor Wimpy’s head office (or whichever office you’re dealing with). As I said, that’s who your contract is with, you have no relationship with the contractors.

Emails are easy to ignore; a man in reception being loudly vexed, less so. I’m not the sort of person to “lose it” and hardly the most intimidating of gentlemen, but I’ve little tolerance for this sort of nonsense.

br
    Free Member

tbh Just get it fixed by someone who’ll do it as you want, then send the bill to TW c/w letter instructing payment in 60 days.

If they haven’t paid it by the due date, small claims court.

Although whether you’d pursue it is really down to how much it is and how much you value your time etc.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

As B R says, in this situation I’d give them 2 weeks to fix it otherwise say you’ll find someone else to do it and send them the bill.

I’d take them to court after the above because the likelihood is that once you’ve sent them an actual bill *and* threatened court, they’d just pay up and you’ll avoid court.

Without a bill they’ll probably drag their heels and you might end up going to court which is a pain and takes ages.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

You can add on some money for your time too. I did that with Vodafone and they gave me 100 quid for all the time i spent chasing them about a phone refund.

skids
    Free Member

what a palava

simonbea
    Free Member

Check out this chaps experience with Taylor Wimpey! Think yourself lucky, they forgot to insulate his house! https://twitter.com/MyHouseSucks

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Thanks all for the responses.

@Cougar not sure I fancy hanging around the TW office on the off chance they’ll see me to be honest.

I tried their customer service yesterday. I was told they’d take a look if I e-mailed them, but I’ve got no acknowledgement of it close to 24 hours later. I’ll give them a follow up call, and forward it onto their director. Tim Betts I think his name is.

The fitters who came yesterday have replaced one section of the worktop. When the plumber came to refit the hob it came to light that they’ not secured the cooker, or cut the cabinets to fit so it could be secured. They also promised to send a guy round to mastic/seal the worktop to where it meets the wall/tiling which hasn’t happened. Enough is enough really.

Cougar

I’m amazed you’re still letting them into the house TBH.

michaelbowden

It’s got to be time for a final letter sent recorded/special delivery and via email (with delivery and read receipts) giving them 14 days to fully resolve or you’ll get the repairs carried yourself and recover your costs via Small Claims.

If it’s all happened as you’ve described and you have the evidence I can’t see how you’ll loose out in Court.

deepreddave
    Free Member

Small Claims sounds great but if disputed it can eat up time like there’s no tomorrow with zero compensation claimable for that time.
    I’d be pestering the MD and only the MD until resolved with notice of my intention to post full details and a timetable of past and ongoing efforts on any forum of which I’m a member as well as social media unless resolved fully within next 14 days. Sure TW would prefer it resolved satisfactorily as they don’t want you stood outside any ongoing development chatting to potential buyers for a few weekends or talking to the local papers who usually like stuff like this.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

@Cougar I think I’ve reached that point today mate!

@deepreddave how’d you get on to the papers? I know the Observer has some sort of consumer investigation reporting, but is there an ombudsman or something like that? Not been able to find anything.

Trailseeker
    Free Member

When the plumber came to refit the hob

???

deepreddave
    Free Member

@curiousyellow – you can usually find a contact for your local paper pretty easily, they usually like human interest, ordinary bloke v multinational, stories. Nationals less so but sure they have local reporters too.
    To be clear though, frustrating though it is, try to focus on getting the best outcome ASAP and that’s why I’d exhaust approaches to TW before actually upping the ante.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

@Trailseeker they need to remove the hob to remove the worktop. They can’t refit the hob themselves because it needs to be done by someone who is gas safe.

@deepreddave I think you and I are on the same track. It’s just that nearly 2 years to replace a worktop is a long **** time to wait 🙁 The best outcome for me would be they pay me to put new worktops in using a local fitter instead of relying on their untrustworthy sub contractor.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

So, I’ve tried escalating to the higher ups, but not much has happened.

I think the next step is for me to get confirmation from them in writing that they will not be doing anything more to sort things out. Once I have this, I can go to an Ombudsman or small claims court to get a Final Solution to this.

I think I’ll be in for the long haul unless TW capitulate once the court papers appear, or the ombudsman prods them. I know the ombudsman has some lead time involved, but are court papers being served dependent on how busy the local courts are, or is there a fixed time for them to send things on?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Taylor Wimpey are building some houses near me and its a VERY disputed thing. Flood plain, destroyed a load of nature reserve to build them – basically made a right old blot on the landscape.

Anyway, some people are continuing to flog the whole thing to death on the local FB pages to protest against the entire development and it seems there are many dedicated facebook pages setup to expose just how utterly sh*te the builders are AND Taylor Wimpey themselves are trying to get them all shut down. Normal people reporting problems are trying to be silenced…

So if its any help, you’re really not the only one!

Viewing 33 posts - 1 through 33 (of 33 total)

The topic ‘How to seek redress from builder (Taylor Wimpey)? Small Claims? NHBC?’ is closed to new replies.