Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • How to seal and paint a garage with concrete and brick walls?
  • curiousyellow
    Free Member

I am a complete DIY noob, but I’m tired of dust coming off the walls. I want to have a go at this. The floor is already sealed. Anyone got any useful guides or tips on how to do this? I want to do this as cheap as possible with just myself for labour.

I think I need to seal the concrete wall and use some masonry emulsion and that should be it? Anyone here done this before?

bails

I just rollered cheap emulsion onto the walls. The first coat was soaked up, but the later coats went on ok.

For the floor you need proper garage floor paint: http://www.diy.com/departments/ronseal-diamond-slate-satin-garage-floor-paint-5l/58007_BQ.prd

slimjim78
    Free Member

Ditto above. I fretted doing a ‘proper job’ but on advice I went with plain old Matt emulsion and slapped it on thick with a roller – 18mths later it’s still fresh

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nickjb
    Free Member

Any old paint will do but masonry paint is cheap enough that you might as well use the proper stuff, unless you happen to have some half tins left over. Just water down the first coat a bit.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Cheers.

How much is a bit? I’m reading some reports saying mix in PVA glue with it for the first coat. Anyone tried this?

allthepies
    Free Member

Cheap emulsion +1 It’s a long old job but worth it 🙂

tthew

How much is a bit? I’m reading some reports saying mix in PVA glue with it for the first coat. Anyone tried this?

I’d water the PVA down 50/50, otherwise you’ll thicken the paint. Then upto 50/50 again. That’s probably the way I’d go, but I’m no expert.

redthunder
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9MAmWnOznI[/video]

bodgy
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwK4NmQZe64[/video]

slimjim78
    Free Member

No need for PVA IME, first tub I watered down perhaps 2/3 paint 1/3 water – worked well but took 2 coats. Next couple of walls I just applied neat with a well loaded roller and it was spot on.
    Helps if you go around the grout quickly first with a paint brush – then just slap the roller on the block work

curiousyellow
    Free Member

@slimjim78 so paint the grout first and then use the roller?

Is the PVA to help seal the wall better? Guessing I don’t need it for the brick side.

i_like_food

I found it much easier & quicker with a really long pile roller – holds much more pain and gets in all the nooks and crannies. Just basic emulsion and 2 coats. Probably not good enough for someone posh, but good enough for me.

Rockape63
    Free Member

Don’t buy the really cheap emulsion as that is like milk and you’ll have to use three coats.

joebristol

I had some rough block work walks in the garage (the large grey concrete blocks) and I just pInted straight onto them with white masonry paint. One coat and they’ve been fine for a few years now. Although I brushed it with a large masonry type paint brush rather than roller. Took a while. It all good.

nickjb
    Free Member

The extra shaggy rollers are great for masonry. Don’t over think it. Just slap it it on.

weeksy

I bought a cheap paint sprayer from Ebay/amazon.

It makes a hell of a mess…. but does a fine job of coating the wall 🙂

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I went to Screw fix got some masonry paint about 5l then picked up a masonry roller, took 2 days to do my garage, bearing in mind I had to move all the stuff around inside.
    I have plenty of paint left over to redo it another time when the walls get a bit grubby.

I used outdoor paint on one wall but the brick work just sucked it up, on reflection I think that was aimed at wood not brick.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

@joebristol I think I’ve got the same stuff in mine.

Alright, long pile roller and masonry paint for the first go. I read into the sprayer (I even have a compressor with a painting attachment) but it looks like there’ll be too much dispersal for me to handle. I don’t want to mess around moving stuff. I’ve got it set up almost how I want it!

And no to the PVA then? I’m not sure why I’m so obsessed with it :s

IHN

Don’t overthink it; massive bucket of cheap white masonry paint, big brush or roller, slap it on.

mark90
    Free Member

Masonry paint (screwfix sometimes have the big tubs of Sandtex on offer), water the first coat down maybe 20%. Long pile roller or long bristled masonry brush depending on the texture of the walls. Roller fine of bricks, but rough blocks or deep pointing need the brush to work the paint in if you want full coverage. That’s what I did but IANAPAD

curiousyellow
    Free Member

That looks super pro!

Why is the first coat watered down? Sorry, I am a n00b at DIY.

mark90
    Free Member

Thanks. A lot of time went into it.

First coat is watered down so it soaks into the bricks/concrete/whatever to give better adhesion than just sitting on the surface where it is more likely to peel off, same principle as mist coating fresh plaster.

If you use cheap watery emulsion it will soak in anyway, and take many coats to cover. A decent masonry paint is a bit thicker, hence thinning the first coat a bit. Exact amount of water isn’t critical, just enough that you can see the paint is soaking into the substrate a bit.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Thank you!

BigJohn

You’re not supposed to use masonry paint indoors as the fungicides can be toxic.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Damn. What do? So confused now.

weeksy

get on with it and stop posting on here… it won’t paint itself whatever method you use 🙂

IHN

Damn. What do? So confused now.

FFS

Don’t overthink it; massive bucket of cheap white masonry paint, big brush or roller, slap it on.

nickjb
    Free Member

bails

You’re not supposed to use masonry paint indoors as the fungicides can be toxic

Damn. What do?

Don’t lick the walls?

Seriously, just buy some paint. Paint the walls. Then buy some floor paint and paint the floor.

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Alright, alright, I’ll get on with it.

If I die of fungicide toxicity then I’ll blame you lot.

Sundayjumper

I just rollered cheap emulsion onto the walls. The first coat was soaked up, but the later coats went on ok.

For the floor you need proper garage floor paint“

This.

Do the walls first, then the floor, so you can paint over all the splatter from doing the walls !

weeksy

For the floors you need nice cheap office carpet tiles from Ebay/Gumtree 🙂

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

I asked this when I got a garage 8 years ago now. Loads of people said there was no point sealing the concrete floor, just use several coats of decent concrete floor paint.

Consequently, last year I spent a lot of time and effort sealing the floor with watered-down PVA (3 coats, I really didn’t want to have to do it a third time!), then repainting the floor.

Similarly for walls. Lots of people said just to use cheap emulsion. If, like me, you have single-skin brick or concrete walls which weep moisture even slightly, the emulsion will run or effloresce (i.e go powdery and brush off). So I re-did them with masonry paint. (Single-skin walls can get damp even with dampcourse and no obvious water intrusion).

For walls you can get external waterproof sealer. However, my garage abuts a neighbour’s garden and he has a load of stuff growing against the wall and wasn’t happy with me getting to the wall to do this.

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/painting-garage-walls-and-floors

curiousyellow
    Free Member

Thanks!

So, you waterproofed the exterior for the brickwork?

Plan is to use some masonry paint diluted to 20% and then do another coat. The floor is sealed already. Wish I could level it though. At the moment it’s just painted with some sealing paint type stuff.

Also have a ton of stuff in there including a power rack. I’m wondering how on earth I’m going to protect all the gear!

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘How to seal and paint a garage with concrete and brick walls?’ is closed to new replies.