Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • How to roadify MTB and weather to bother
  • Doh1Nut

I have been roped in to a charity bike ride with work, It is 300 miles from Woking to Rotterdam crossing at Dover. We have three days to do it, so three consecutive 100 mile days – not something I have done before. (Done 3 click24s as solo)
    Everyone else is on road bikes or road bike with flat bars type hybrid.
    But I dont have a road bike and dont want to buy one.
    Being bloody minded I want to do it on a MTB. (with baggies and a peaked helmet)
    I have a Kinesis hardtail with some old Marzochi forks that lock down 30mm.
    Wheels are HopeXC/717 1.125inch tyres @100psi
    Ultegra Cassette 12-27
    rest of the kit is XTish.

I have commuted a bit on the bike and is it is what I am using for training miles. I am happy with all the kit and I cant see much of a mechanical weakness (Except for the Aerozine crank!)

I could just ride it as is but what should I consider changing?

I think I can use an XT lockring to make 11-27 casette.
    700c disc wheels ?
    48t chainring? (currently 44t)
    rigid forks (mailed someone off here about some but no reply)

What have I forgotten?

wwaswas

possibly rigid forks to save weight but I’d leave everything else if it works for you – you’re unlikely to be spinnign out a 44/12 combo regularly on a 100 mile day.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

44 / 11 top gear should be good for 30+ mph easily so unless you have long hills to peddle down I doubt higher gears are really worth it.

Maybe some tribars in case of headwinds, you already have thin fast tyres.

Just ride it

letmetalktomark

Simples.

Wheels & tyres picked up from classifieds.

Small block out back std chainrings up front.

Bike is a 1999 Kona Caldera

acjim
    Free Member

would have thought the main thing would be lack of hand positions & stretch?

So perhaps some bar ends and a longer / flatter stem?

Tiboy

Have got some rigid steel forks and 29r disc wheels for sale if you’re interested? BUt really I think you’re current setup is pretty good, I used to do some training on a roadrat with 26inch wheels and 1.25 slicks and I wasn’t much quicker when I went to 29r wheels, though they do reduce rolling resistance and smooth out the bumps a bit… 😀

Keva
    Free Member

my XTC in road mode… >

…and in xc mode >

all that changes is the tyres. cassette is 11-28 I think! I’d consider rigid forks if I were you, saves a lot of weight and is better for road riding.

Kev

Swalsey
    Free Member

I think you’ll be fine as you are, but would benefit from the bigger wheels or a bigger ring for longer gearing – just in case the road bikes are travelling quicker and you spin out. I can’t imagine that you would need to do both – the bigger wheels should give that extra bit of gearing. If you do bigger wheels you can save yourself the faff of changing tyres for road and off-road too 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘How to roadify MTB and weather to bother’ is closed to new replies.