Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • How to ride to work
  • porter_jamie

I seem to remember a thread on how to ride to work some time ago. What I mean is how do you get your work clothes in without messing them up. New job there’s a shower and safe bike parking and it’s proper cycle lane most of the way too. And they found me a locker too. If anyone can remember what the thread is called can you pls link it?

I’ve seen a bag where you stick your suit in and roll it up and it turns into a back pack. Not sure I want a back pack though.

richmars

I just roll mine up, and leave shoes at work.
    If you’re wearing a suit maybe best to leave the jacket at work.

klunky
    Free Member

Drive to work 1 day a week to drop off and pick up clean / dirty work clothes?

mudhead84
    Free Member

I use these to keep stuff dry https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00NX5G9RC/ref=psdcmw_3313553031_t1_6041284912. The 6 litre one will take pants socks a t-shirt and large towel. Get yourself a microfibre towel and you could probably squeeze some trousers in there as well.

porter_jamie

I was hoping not avoid the drive in if I could but yes that’s an obvious solution.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I tend to drive in every two weeks usually, but shoes trousers etc are all in my locker.

Usually take in a load of shirts and underwear, clean towel when I drive in. If I don’t drive I’ll take a wee camelbak to carry a shirt, etc.

The more you can leave at work the better.

chiefgrooveguru

I used to leave my jacket, trousers and shoes and work and just take my shirt and tie with me each day.

tthew

The bag you are referring to is a Henty Wingman. I’ve got one of the their tube backpacks, superb quality. Think it’s 3 years old now, used for commuting and as a general rucksack. No strap, stitching or zip damage. It’s ace.

Do you really have to wear a full suit? Can’t be many companies or roles that need that kind of formality these days surely?

molgrips
    Free Member

What I mean is how do you get your work clothes in without messing them up.

Non-iron shirt and an Eagle Creek Pack-It. Leave shoes and lock at work, take trousers in on a Monday and leave them there til Friday. Easy.

whitestone
    Free Member

Leave as much as you can at work. It does depend on your job of course and what you need to wear for it. I leave everything at work then take in t-shirt and underwear each day – I’m not in a customer facing role and only have to be “presentable”. There’s no shower at work so ride in steadily trying not to sweat (fortunately it’s mostly downhill) wait till I’ve cooled down, usually that takes about a cup of coffee, and use baby wipes to clean up.

I’ve an Ortlieb 4 litre saddlebag which is plenty big enough for stuff and attaches/detaches really quickly. Proper full length mudguards on the bike keep most of the crap at bay. At this time of year overshoes and leg warmers deal with the rest.

If you want a bigger pack then look at the Carradice SQR bags, there’s a “slim” version which is wider but shallower than the normal one, wide enough to get a laptop in, which should be fine for getting ironed shirts to work.

hardtail5
    Free Member

Fitted mudguards on the bike to keep the worst off you – this time of year there’s puddles even if it’s not been raining.

Shoes and trousers in a locker and take a folded shirt every day.

kilo

I leave a few pairs of shoes at work commute the odd day by tube to bring several pairs of trousers in every couple of weeks, then I just carry a rolled up shirt, socks and skidders in. If you don’t want to do a regular drop off bigger kit find a dry cleaners near work and just use that to clean your work kit which lives in your work locker?

tjagain

I have to wear a uniforma t work which I launder myself and have a clean one every day top and trousers. When my commute is short it goes in a backpack rolled up, when its a long commute it goes in panniers.

If I had to wear a suit I would have multiple trousers for it, leave the jacket at work and bring in a clean pair of trousers every couple of days and a clean shirt every day rolled around a towel or even just rolled up loosely the creases are not an issue

oikeith

OP I think you are referencing a GCN video where Matt covers off how he used to go to work with his suit.

Luckily for me, my work has lockers, showers and a hotel room style iron. I’ll ride in monday with full clothes, shoes and towel and will then leave my towel, shoes and trousers at work and then each day bring in a clean shirt, socks and pants.

prawny

I work in a small office, ties, suit and several pairs of trousers, jeans and trainers live at work, with a spare shirt and undies just in case.

I carry in an easy/non iron shirt socks and boxers everyday rolled up, with my lunch.

No one has ever commented on my appearance, so I assume all is good.

SaxonRider

No one has ever commented on my appearance, so I assume all is good.

Yes they do. You just don’t hear them. 😈

Garry_Lager

Keep a spare set of clothes at work in addition to the stuff you expect to wear.

Imagine the despair of turning up to work in lycra bibs, only to realise you’ve forgotten your kecks! But the despair turns to joy as you remember you stowed a spare set in your office drawer 🙂

vincienup
    Free Member

I have had to sit in the corner in lycra shorts and a running t shirt for this exact reason, got my days muddled and expected stuff to be at work that was in the wash. Sort of like an inverse ‘forgot PE kit…’ 😯

philjunior
    Free Member

I learned how to fold shirts working a summer in a suit shop, trousers are easy. I don’t wear a suit jacket at work, it would be quite tricky to transport and I’d probably just find a laundry service and keep it at work.

They do sometimes come out with a bit of a square tit thing going on, but they’re always acceptable. I try to take clothes in for the week rather that doing it every day though. If I needed to look 100% bridal party sharp I would consider finding a laundry service that would pick up from work.

All the above assumes you have space to hang your office gear when not in use of course.

No idea where the original thread is.

philjunior
    Free Member

Oh yeah and I’d definitely third the spare set of clothes at work suggestion – I try to never take anything home until I’ve brought the next week’s replacement in (wearing last week’s trousers/shirts is better than wearing lycra).

I’ve only once had to nip to Primark.

philjunior
    Free Member

Oh yeah and I’d definitely third the spare set of clothes at work suggestion – I try to never take anything home until I’ve brought the next week’s replacement in (wearing last week’s trousers/shirts is better than wearing lycra).

I’ve only once had to nip to Primark.

nwmlarge
    Free Member

I keep my suit, shirts, ties and shoes at work.
    I have a visiting Dry cleaners which means I never have to take stuff home.

I also have showers at work which is handy.

lunge

Drive to work 1 day a week to drop off and pick up clean / dirty work clothes?

Same, but train instead of drive.

porter_jamie

Thanks a lot All, very handy stuff.
    its only about 2 miles, will i get away with riding in wearing the work clothes (assuming decent weather) or is that a bad idea?

i dont need a suit, just ‘business casual’ so we are talking about trousers and shirts

i have a locker which is about tall enough to hang shirts in.

good call on the spare set, i had a mate at the last place who forgot to bring his trousers and had to borrow some of someone who was several sizes bigger than him

crazy-legs

I’m fortunate in that we have showers, lockers, a drying room and indoor bike storage.
    Shoes live at work, towel stays in the drying room and then I’ll swap it with a fresh one every week. Same with trousers – normally leave a pair in the locker and change them every week.

I do at least one day by car or train per week so it’s easy to swap stuff around.

If you’ve only got a short commute then you can get away with rolling a shirt up (roll, don’t fold) and it’ll stay relatively un-creased. One other trick is to hang it just by the shower and it effectively “steams” any minor creases out of it.

Garry_Lager

porter_jamie – Member

Thanks a lot All, very handy stuff.
    its only about 2 miles, will i get away with riding in wearing the work clothes (assuming decent weather) or is that a bad idea?This is the question – do you ride in sedate like a gentleman, wearing your work clothes? Or do you blast in like a boss, wearing cycling stuff and get changed?
    Personally I just don’t like riding slowly [also convinced it is less safe], so would always look to do the latter. 2 miles, though, it’s so short that it seems silly to get dressed up just to swing your leg over the bike for 10 mins.

c_klein87

i tend to drive in then ride home, just leave a bag of clothes at work, then just bring lunch with me in the morning, fairly long 40km so i’m not desperate to ride both ways in the winter

qwerty
    Free Member

. Not sure I want a back pack though.

=

Waterproof Backpack – 20 Litres

I cycle 3 flat miles into work. I find no need to shower, just a freshen up at the sink. Uniform is rolled up into the above bag. I ride in different clothes to those I work in, it doesn’t have to be cycle kit but is when the weather’s foul / cold, plus road spray from cars can mess up clean clothing. I have spare uniform, pants & socks in locker, the socks are the most often used after rain.

Edit: I read “back” pack as “black” pack!

ricardo666
    Free Member

I do what molgrips says, have some waterproof shorts or combat shorts for riding in to work 5 mile each way.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘How to ride to work’ is closed to new replies.