Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • How to ride over logs when they're a wheelbase apart?
  • chiefgrooveguru

On a local route there's one particular obstacle which keeps foiling me, two small logs each about 6" in diameter, about 3'6" apart. The first one I just manual the front wheel over. But then my front wheel meets the second long just as the back wheel meets the first – so if I unweight the back wheel the front wheel hits log 2 and stops dead whilst if I manual the front the back wheel smacks log 1 and pulls the front back down. Result: dead stop and ungraceful dismount.

What should I be doing?

Pook

carry more speed and bunny hop them.

IanMmmm
    Free Member

?

tracknicko
    Free Member

pedal faster. bunny hop both. 3 foot 6 i reckon you need to be doing about 15mph plus.

easy job.

DezB
    Free Member

😀 I did what IanMmmm suggests, but with an axe

trail_rat
    Free Member

front wheel over , lock the front brake , spin round on the front wheel drop the back wheel over the otherside of the second log and spin on the back wheel….

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

power wheelie over both

tracknicko
    Free Member

^^^lame.

why not cut all the corners out too to save time?

remove all the rocks?

build mud kickers up to all the tree stumps?

then you'll have a nice straight smooth bit of trail. perhaps you could tarmac it to make it run quicker?

chiefgrooveguru

There's a tight 90 deg turn almost straight after them as well, so if I do 15 mph I'll land in the foliage!

Eccles
    Free Member

Complete halt, up on the back wheel, trials stylee hopping over them is the smartarse answer, though I only have the fittness and mad skillzors to do this over tiny, tiny logs on relatively flat sections. On a climb I just fall off and lie around gasping like a landed fish.

tracknicko
    Free Member

if you have space for a whole wheelbase after the logs then youll make that corner no bother. if they are only 1 wheelbase apart i revise my speed guestimate to 10mph.

just hop the frickin things.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

6" diameter isnt much.

Therefore you could bunnyhop the first one but keep the front wheel high and force the back wheel down into the gap between the two. The back wheel will roll and hit the 2nd long forcing the front wheel down, but it will obviosuly be on the far side of the 2nd long. The back wheel will then just roll over the 2nd long and your away.

wwaswas

practice your cyclocross dismount/run/remount technique.

MrAgreeable

You want to get a nice graceful sine wave motion going on, like this bloke. 😉

DezB
    Free Member

just hop the frickin things.

And you know exactly what the run-up is like? Or you don't need a run up to hop 2 logs coz you has skillz? Yawn.

yetiguy
    Free Member

6 iches ?

Just put your weight back and roll over them

Depeding on your travel of course

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

if in doubt, flat out!
    Momentum should see you through. Just keep your weight centered/back and lift the front wheel up as high as you can, absorb the impact with your legs and try not to let the frotn drop down again.

soobalias
    Free Member

the only way to sort it is to find your inner child and try anything and everything till its sorted, you will stack it countless dozens of times and will carry the scar for many years, but you will have spent many long summer days getting it right.

of course if you are an adult you will more than likely have a bash at it once each time you go out and ride, this approach means it is likely both logs will have disintigrated long before you get the hang of it.

a log hop on my local loop had me stumped for about 3 years you could hop it on one side, or go left and duck under a very low branch. If you could hop it you had a chance to pass the guy that was trying to squeeze under, the last two years ive been clearing it, clumsily at first but eventually more and more smoothly until it was hardly there….
    last week i find some well meaning fcuknut had taken a chainsaw to it – no more obstacle

tracknicko
    Free Member

better that, than admit defeat and get the axe out you lame btard!

trail_rat
    Free Member

yep the "i cant do it – no one can it needs removed " attitude is shit

soobalias
    Free Member

im still gutted

im going a different route tonight

MrTall
    Free Member

Get a 29er and plow straight over them….. 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

can you bunny hop?

if yes then do a similar unweighting technique but just roll both wheel over them.

i'm imagining the first one is simple, unweight the front wheel let it roll over. then 'load up' then just before the wheels hit the logs throw your body weight up and forward, then bring the bike up and through, letting the wheels rollover the logs.

actually its the same technique as getting up a ledge/ step.

DezB
    Free Member

better that, than admit defeat and get the axe out you lame btard!

An axe is bloody heavy to carry down to the trail I'll have you know

yep the "i cant do it – no one can it needs removed " attitude is shit

True. No-one else rides this trail though. I wouldn't do it on a public one!

chiefgrooveguru

One gentleman I ride with does carry a large folding saw. However he seems to use it to build obstacles, not remove them!

tracknicko
    Free Member

ha ha. danger if you fall off while carrying an axe.

Chris-S
    Free Member

Hoverbike ?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Build a dirt ramp to one side of the first one so you can jump both. Trials gods can still back wheel hop both if they like.

GaryLake
    Free Member

You want to get a nice graceful sine wave motion going on, like this bloke.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpWATMtTPkk

Jason Bradbury is a tw*t but that was brilliant!

Onzadog
    Free Member

Easy, buy a bike with a longer or shorter wheel base.

cookeaa

Build a kicker using the first one, landing slope on the other, try turning them into a mini double….

Worst comes to the worst stamp out a chicken run to one side, but don’t rob other riders of a perfectly good trail feature just because you can’t ride it…

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Easy, buy a bike with a longer or shorter wheel base

beat me to it

llama

3 options

1. front wheel over first log, then bunny hop action to clear back and front wheels, then roll back wheel over second.

2. go fast enough to bunny hop and get the front wheel over both, back wheel will follow

3. get a long travel bike and ride over it

tracknicko
    Free Member

hop to manual into the gap?

Viewing 34 posts - 1 through 34 (of 34 total)

The topic ‘How to ride over logs when they're a wheelbase apart?’ is closed to new replies.