Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • How to replace 2004 enduro bearings near rear mech
  • kwack
    Free Member

Not sure what that area is called but there are 4 small bearings in there – two each side with a washer in between.

I have replaced the other bearings on the frame but am unsure whether you need to drive each individul one out or can bosh the both through from one side?

Any ideas

Cheers

Kwack

sslowpace
    Free Member

Frame?

stumpyjon

If it's anything like the rear end of a stumpy there is a ridge between the bearings that means you can't bosh them through. They are not easy to replace with a bearing puller or similar tool.

Harry_the_Spider

LBS. If they are not a Spesh dealer then order replacment bolts in first as they will strip when they fight to take them out.

http://www.singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/advice-please-before-i-do-some-real-damage

stevomcd
    Free Member

Muhahahahaha! You're in for lots of fun…

I did this myself on my other half's Stumpy. To be honest, Speccy dealer is probably the most sensible thing to do. Here's my non-sensible method:

1. Strip the frame down so you can remove the swingarm.
    2. Remove the seals and ball-retainers from one bearing on each side.
    3. Pull out the balls and inner-race for this bearing.
    4. You can now easily push out the other bearing in each pair.
    5. You now have to remove the outer race of the first bearing. This is the tricky bit. You can spend forever trying to catch the edge of the race with something to push it out (centre-dab and hammer could work well) or you may eventually resort to:
    6. File 2 small notches in the ridge in the frame which separates the two bearings.
    7. Tap against the bearing race via the notches to remove it.

Nightmare.

kwack
    Free Member

2004 frame – the bearings near the dropouts. Not sure if there is a ridge in between the bearings or not – I think there is a washer in between.

The bearings in there now do move ok with a bit of notchiness so might just leave them.

Cheers for the replies

Kwack

will…
    Free Member

To be fair, specialized make a complete toolkit to remove/refit every bearing size they have used over the years. it extracts even stubborn bearings easily, but takes time to get it all lined up, etc. in extreme cases like yours where the bolts have remained in place for 4 years, sometimes the bolts need some heat to break them free, and as someone posted earlier, sometimes the bearing disintegrates on extraction at which point the outer race is simply dremelled away to remove it.

Any good specialized dealer should have the toolkit.

Will…

kwack
    Free Member

The bolts have come out fine – the barings are slightly notchy. I notice Stevonmcd post looks like a good idea – might give that a try

Cheers

Kwack

tonyplym
    Free Member

Extractor – I can't remember if this is the right size, but if it isn't then you need the next size up; makes the job fairly straightforward. Attach this tool to a home-made slide hammer, and you're away.

stevomcd
    Free Member

tonyplym's widget looks like the business – wish I'd found that at the time, couldn't spy a bearing extraction kit for under £100!

kwack
    Free Member

Cant for the life of me see how that tool works. Will look into it

T1000
    Free Member

Kwack Tony's widget inserts into the bearing so the lip sits just past the inner edge, you tighten it and it expands and grips it. to remove the bearing you attatch a slide hammer and pull the bearing out

(slide hammer = a long piece of threaded bar which screws in to the end of the widget. It has a nut at the other end and inbetween theres a heavy lump of metal which you bash against the nut to pull out the bearing)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘How to replace 2004 enduro bearings near rear mech’ is closed to new replies.