Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • How to repair cut in tread base of tyre?
  • Suggsey
    Free Member

I have a nearly new single ply Maxxis Minnion rear tyre and noticed I have an inch and a quarter cut in the base carcass that runs across half the width of the tyre. It is not bulging-yet- but looks too deep to take any chances on off road or put any more than the 35psi in thats already in it.
    Any suggestions as to how to repair it or should I just bite the bullet and ditch it or take the chance it wont rupture/explode?

Vortexracing

pulls up chair and waits.

I’ve just done the same (although smaller cut) in my brand new High Roller.

trouble is i’m running it tubeless.

Suggsey
    Free Member

You havent been riding at Cannock or Llandegla in the past week have you? Its that bigger slice it could only have been done with sharp metal or glass but I really cant recall going over anything resembling either-just lots of frozen jagged ice- could the rubber have gone brittle as the temperatures on both rides was very low?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Vortexracing

No, it happened in the lakes yesterday.

not a good start to me trying tubeless

Spook
    Free Member

Bin it I reckon, 1.25″ is pretty big to repair….. then again I’m no expert 😐

Suggsey
    Free Member

It hasnt gone through to the cords of the carcass if that makes a difference.

Suggsey
    Free Member

Looks like new tyre then!

Onzadog
    Free Member

If the carcass is fine then surely all you’ve done is lift the rubber. The carcass supplies the structure and strength. Just glue the rubber tread. (if I’ve understood your explaination of the damage correctly).

Suggsey
    Free Member

Will try it first before ordering the new tyre but am resigned to a new one so any thing else is a bonus.

smorgie
    Free Member

Superglue will work (if the cords are fine.)

Loctite 406 is the best for rubber ( but most will work) It will make it a bit more brittle but it will work.

1.Clean the tyre well
    2.Let the air out (and take the tyre off)
    3.Clean the cut out properly with meths or similar and let it flash off
    4.Get a flat blade screw driver and a sandwich bag
    5. Open the cut up and put a drop(hardly any) in the cut (maybe do a little at a time if it is a big cut)
    6. Press the cut together hard with the screw driver with the end wrapped in the bag (this will not stick to the glue so you can push on the cut)
    7. Keep pressing for 20 secs then move along the cut and press again
    8. If it opens up press and hold again harder and longer, the aim is to have the minimum bond line possible
    9. Don’t worry about the glue that comes out of the cut until the end then wipe it off with a tissue. The wiping motion should be as fast as possible or it will stick the tissue ( but who cares in the long run.)
    10. As a back up you can bond a puncture patch to the inside if you want.
    11. You must now leave for 24hr before doing anthing else with it!!!

Vortexracing

I’ve just got a tyre repair kit from justridingalong.

He rekons it will work fine on my cut tubeless set-up so i’m sure it will be ok on yours if your using tubes.

Cost about a fiver which is a damn site cheaper than a new tyre.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘How to repair cut in tread base of tyre?’ is closed to new replies.