Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • How to remove spray paint from a car?
  • milkherd
    Free Member

I went out for a ride on Sunday morning to discover someone had decided to respray my car for me during the course of Saturday night. I am a bit disappointed as they must have been scared off before they finished the job and so I am left with a rather unsightly green mark on the bonnet of my car.

Rather than leave this mark in the hope that they come back to finish the job of painting my car green, has anyone got any experience of removing spray paint from a car bonnet?
    I have of course Googled this, but any real world experiences would be most appreciated!

glupton1976
    Free Member

T-Cut not shift it?

trail_rat
    Free Member

Had this before. T cut did the job.

johndoh
    Free Member

Extra fine wet and dry dipped in soapy water might do it – sooner rather than later (it’ll start to harden more)

Elmo
    Free Member

Your car looks realtively new, so the paint should be quite smooth and good still. T-cut or a light cutting compound should shift, i’d be careful with wet and dry unless you’ve done it before, you may go too far and leave a dull patch.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Try nail varnish remover.

Elmo
    Free Member

Why have they done it/ Have you been messing with somebody else’s cows?!
    Udder lunacy.

daiboy
    Free Member

See my Dad.

tinybits
    Free Member

Nitromorse will do the trick nicely*

Failing that, I’d start with T-cut, then go to white spirit (try on a bit of paint you can’t see, but I bet it’ll be ok) if it doesn’t shift it. Wet and dry will do it if nothing else will, but you will have a dull patch on you car unless you have an electric polisher and G10 paste (think a trade version of T-Cut) and if you have access to that, just use it instead of wet and dry!

*Might not be a real suggeston

milkherd
    Free Member

Wow, thanks for the quick replies! I don’t know why they did it and I expect they don’t really know either! They did spray a garage around the corner from me with ‘BS13’, the postcode of a notorious district of Bristol…

trail_rat, if you’ve tried T-Cut, which one did you use? Looking on their website they do a few products (t cut website) and I don’t really have a clue as I’ve never had to do this sort of thing before!

bentandbroken

T-Cut will potentially be too harsh. Try something finer/smoother ( ask your local car spares shop)

IMHO it is worth going for something that removes it slowly and makes you use more elbow grease. If you go for the fast option you are more likely to damage what is underneath

acsevens

If T Cut doesn’t work I would recommend changing it to read “cook pass babtridge”

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’d try autoglym paintwork renovator. Had similar done to mine a few years back. Took a bit of elbow grease, but it should take it off.

bigdean

There’s a clay type product like rubbing blue tak on the paint with a lube. Think auto glym do it. Have used to to remove embedded dirt from the paint. Its very gental but slow.

nealglover
    Free Member

Machine polish would get it off in no time and have it looking better than it did before.

If you are Yorkshire give me a shout and I will sort it out for you, and throw in a free Valet 😉

(Edit- clay bar isn’t designed to remove stuff like paint, will do more damage to the paint surrounding the problem.)

Drapoon
    Free Member

Bit of white spirit on a microfibre cloth then wash off any residue. follow up with some autoglym super resin polish if that doesnt have enough bite 3m fast cut applied by hand will shift it. Avoid t-cut far too harsh especially on a mettalic car.
    Some utter swines relieved me of my intergrated stereo/ sat nav friday night and I feel your pain 🙁

stevelolly
    Free Member

Take it to your local reputable body shop. They will either use a fine cutting compound on a buffer or , if your paintwork is sound and or original , a cloth lightly soaked in thinners. I wouldn’t advise using the thinners method yourself as you need to check how sound the paintwork is but its a method I’ve used many times Over the years I’ve been a paint sprayer.

andyl
    Free Member

Try nail varnish remover.

I really wouldn’t. Too harsh. Avoid all chemical routes and go for the gentle abrade as too much risk of wrecking the paint underneath or dripping onto another bit.

The cold weather will be buying you time but get it sorted quickly. Machine polish with some decent gentle cutting compound would be my choice. Or just lots of soapy water and some P1200/2500 wet and dry if you are not too bothered about your paintwork but just want to get the spray paint off.

bigyim
    Free Member

Agree with above. I could post you some cutting compound if you pay for postage? unless the bonnet has been repainted thinners should remove it no problem

qu1nt
    Free Member

Yep, friendly bodyshop should just wipe off with thinners for you
    (If you’re in Berks/Hants send me a pm & I’ll do to for you)

STATO
    Free Member

TBH, looking at the state of it surprised the paint has even stuck on top of all that dirt. A good wash will prob do a decent job of getting most of it off!

bigyim
    Free Member

It does need a wash and that tax disc looks slightly wonky too

milkherd
    Free Member

Thank-you very much for all the advice and the offers of help – I particularly liked the Cook Pass Babtridge suggestion:

However, in the end I opted for the elbow grease and soapy water option, and to my surprise, it worked!

I probably need to check I’ve got it all in the light of day and then I guess some kind of polish but it looks alright. It was bloody squeaky getting it off!

nealglover
    Free Member

Nice work, You’ll want some protection on there after scrubbing with soapy water.

Any decent Wax will do.

STATO
    Free Member

Are you sure you didnt just go buy a new car, looks nowt like it 😆

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘How to remove spray paint from a car?’ is closed to new replies.