• This topic has 19 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by jkomo.
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • How to remove rounded off 3mm hex bolt?
  • spawnofyorkshire

Fitted some new grips the other day, using torque wrench set to 2nm as on carbon bars. First side was fine, then on the other side the little b@st@rd rounded off straight away
    Any suggestions on how to get it out? Have tried three different Hex keys so far with no joy

steve_b77
    Free Member

Drill

stevied
    Free Member

T15 Torx key? Maybe try tightening the screw a bit 1st too

aracer
    Free Member

torx bit hammered in often works, otherwise as steve writes.

spawnofyorkshire

T15 Torx key?

Have one of those at home, will try tonight

spawnofyorkshire

Do what with the drill though?

aracer
    Free Member

drill through where you’d put the hex key – you just need to remove the head of the bolt, so a 4mm drill should suffice (a 3mm hex head usually means an M4 bolt IIRC).

nwmlarge
    Free Member

As the head is removed it will relive the pressure in the clamp and you can then remove the grip.

If it was an ali bar I would suggest pulling it off.

I take it its not the end clamp? you could hacksaw the bolt if there was enough thread showing.

otsdr
    Free Member

If the grips don’t spin, why remove it? Wait until the grips wear out, then drill it.

jonnym92

Whack an old torx bit in, slowly twist. I have done this way more often than I should, bit of a knack but you’ll get it – I have a box of torx bits that I use for this purpose.. Small hex heads are pretty poor imo, anything over hand tight can be a pain to remove, worthwhile greasing the threads.

lw246
    Free Member

No need to drill. It’s a pair lock on grips, you should be able to see the bold threads. Just cut it in the middle with a hack saw.

scrumfled
    Free Member

I’d use an easy out…. or if the head sits proud cut a slot in it and flat blade screwdriver it out.

spawnofyorkshire

It’s the bolt on a set of dmr deathgrips.
    Not enough space to hacksaw
    I want to reposition the grip as it’s not quite right for me at present (waffle bit up a bit too high)

jam-bo

If it’s proud enough, use a drill chuck to clamp on the outside of the bolt head.

Picked that tip up from here and it’s worked a treat a few times.

spawnofyorkshire

If it’s proud enough, use a drill chuck to clamp on the outside of the bolt head.

Picked that tip up from here and it’s worked a treat a few times.

It’s recessed unfortunately. That’s a good idea if i round something proud though

benp1

Can you cut it with a dremel rather than a hacksaw, might be easier to get to it?

servo
    Free Member

http://www.screwfix.com/p/trend-pro-grabit-screw-and-bolt-remover-2-pieces/21391

Saved me loads of times, cleat bolts, oven fan rusted bolts etc.

I think it is called an easy out (already mentioned by scrumfled)

poly
    Free Member

Torx bit is my first step in this scenario – but I recently had a really nasty aluminium screw where even that didn’t work. I put some superglue in it and glued a bit in place and that was enough to stop it skipping out. Worth a try.

tonj
    Free Member

As mentioned above, easy out’s:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Hakkain-Extractor-Broken-Damaged-Remover/dp/B0185PAL4Q

I used a set like this many times to remove knackered hex/torx bolts. There’s also this type: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/small-Screw-extractor-stud-bolt-removal-tool-easy-out-set-engineering-remove-/290489660177 but i’ve had less success with these.

jkomo

Dremel a slot- 30 second job.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘How to remove rounded off 3mm hex bolt?’ is closed to new replies.