Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • How to remove old stickers from a galvanized metal surface?
  • cloudnine
    Free Member

Bought a second hand galvanized trailer which has some large old stickers on it. They are brittle and look tatty so want to get them off…

Any suggestions to getting them off? Flame thrower?

MaryHinge
    Free Member

A bit of heat.

Hair dryer or hot air paint stripper type thing. Get them really warm and peel away. Might need a scraper.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Rubbing alcohol

maccruiskeen

[looks out window at frozen car]

Have you tried licking them off?

🙂

CountZero

There might be residue left after removing the actual stickers, acetone is one solvent that might work, lighter fuel and WD40 will work with different adhesives.

timber

Hot air and patience. If they’re old and brittle they’ll come off in a thousand pieces.
    Had to unbrand a few agri machines for sale.

kayak23

Warm air to get the most off, then nail polish remover to get the sticky shizzle.

jbproductions
    Free Member

It depends but WD40 / GT85 or lighter fuel (i.e. for a zippo) work well in most applications. I cleaned up the bar tape residue from a lovely set of vintage Cinelli bars with GT85 earlier today.. very satisifying.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Thanks everyone.. looks like i’ll try the flame thrower first and if that doesnt work i’ll lick them off.

maccruiskeen

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Cover it in sudocrem and leave overnight.

shakers97
    Free Member

Mr Sheen is good for removing residue

maccruiskeen

Mr Sheen is good for removing residue

I think you mean Mr Wolf

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘How to remove old stickers from a galvanized metal surface?’ is closed to new replies.