Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • How to remove axle from Superstar switch free hub.
  • johnnystorm

I’m hoping to convert a rear superstar switch hub from 142×12 to 10mm qr. I can get the brake side end cap off with no bother but the axle stays fixed inside the free hub. I did get the instruction sheet emailed from superstar but that just seems to suggest the axle will pop out, it doesn’t! With the free hub/axle coming out of the hub as one do I just need to whack the axle towards the drive side, assuming its a press fit?

Thanks in advance. 🙂

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

Apparently they’re rebranded Novatech hubs and this worked for me (but a bit more force was required than this guy):

chvck
    Free Member

On my switch the non brake side cap was fixed to the axle and didn’t look designed to come off. Also, my axle wouldn’t come out either…until I got a ruddy big hammer and persuaded it otherwise!

simon1975
    Rorschach
    Free Member

Special superstar tool,

Harry_the_Spider

That looks like an Imperial rock. You may be better off using a Metric one.

BTW, Superstar are selling tool kits now that will fit all of their products.

johnnystorm

Cheers fellas. Looks like I need to find a few scrappy bits of wood and a BFH to coax it out. 🙂

tonyg2003

Hi. Changed the bearings in two hubs recently. As said above. Undo the end caps and tap out the axle. Easy to change the bearings on the hub and freehub at the same time (6902-2RS – one sitting on my home desk :))

johnnystorm

I hope the bearings don’t need changing. They’ve only done about 10 miles but I’ve bought a new frame……

simon1975

You’ll have to remove at least one of the bearings to get the axle out. Be careful not to damage it!

warpcow
    Free Member

I’ve changed between qr, 10mm and 142×12 a few times and never had a problem. Disc-side cap off and tap/pull the axle through from the other side.

legend
    Free Member

You’ll have to remove at least one of the bearings to get the axle out. Be careful not to damage it!

Please step away from the tool kit. Removing SS axles takes 2 spanners and 10 seconds (and maybe a gentle tap)

johnnystorm

Piece of wood resting on a large cable reel and a crafty whack with a rubber mallet sorted it. Absolutely no chance of the axle popping out like it does in the video!

couldashouldawoulda
    Free Member

You’ll have to remove at least one of the bearings to get the axle out.

Not one mine: it didnt “just fall out” like it does in my link above, but a moderate tap / blow with a mallet had it clean out with no bearing attached. I wonder if the bearings bind onto the axle with age / use?

chvck
    Free Member

I wonder if the bearings bind onto the axle with age / use?

I suspect so, the bearings didn’t come out with my axle but errr, I fairly mangled the end when I got fed up and resorted to smacking it. Doubt the cap is likely to come off again, it took some force to get it back on!

tonyg2003

Yep for both my very well used Superstar wheel I can confirm that the axle came out without the bearings. Not that the bearings were difficult to change either.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘How to remove axle from Superstar switch free hub.’ is closed to new replies.