• This topic has 14 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by simmy.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • How to remove adhesive strips from car bodywork?
  • johndoh
    Free Member

Our trusty old Mazda 3 has lost one of the plastic side ‘bumper’ strips that run along the doors. After several failed attempts at glueing it back on with a hot glue gun (I don’t think that glue likes the cold) I am going to get some of the proper double sided adhesive strip and fix it on properly. However there is loads of the old adhesive (not the glue gun glue) on both the door and the bumper strip.

So the question is – what is the best thing to use to remove it prior to refixing (obviously needs to be something that won’t damage paintwork).

Cheers

wwaswas

This worked quite well for me: http://www.lakeland.co.uk/8976/Sticky-Stuff-Glue-Residue-&-Oil-Remover-250ml removed old GB stickers and headlamp deflectors.

johndoh
    Free Member

Cheers – that looks just the ticket.

jimdubleyou

+1 for sticky stuff remover.

crapjumper
    Free Member

WD40 on a cloth works for me

Splash-man
    Free Member

WD40 or petrol works as a great solvent if you have a spare can hanging around.
    Just don’t set fire to it……tends to make a mess of the paintwork !

bigyinn
    Free Member

When I’ve had to remove that stuff in the past its a bit of a bugger. Try and remove as much of the foamy stuff first until you’re left with just the sticky stuff and then use the adhesive remover. Autoglym bug and tar remover is pretty good for this.

McHamish
    Free Member

I haven’t tried this myself, but could you use a hair dryer to melt the glue and then some kind of solvent to remove the remaining glue?

alric
    Free Member

Whats Traffic Film Remover do?
    I tried petrol,meths,and DIY Magic Sponge.
    THe magic sponge works best but theres still a long way to go to get it all off. The dust from the road sticks to the last traces of glue

Jerm

There is a thing called a toffee wheel or caramel wheel that you attach to drill that is designed for the job.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Auto glym tar and bug remover

TheDTs
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnplRocybbk[/video]

Is what we use.
    Its a bug£r to get off with just tar and glue remover and a plastic scraper.
    Edit. Isoprop evaporates before it has softened the glue. Good for finishing off and cleaning before you put the new tape on though.

vongassit
    Free Member

This stuff gets my vote , I’ve stripped a lot of vinyl from vehicles in a past life. Unfortunatley.

simmy
    Free Member

+ 1 for caramel wheel

I used to deliver body shop supplies and never believed they could work so well till I used one to take the side strips off a mates Corsa C, leaves no residue at all.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘How to remove adhesive strips from car bodywork?’ is closed to new replies.