• This topic has 16 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by csb.
Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • how to reduce glare / reflection from polycarbonate shed roof?
  • Markie
    Free Member

Hey

I built a shed. It’s great. It has a polycarbonate sheet roof, also great – the inside of the shed is lovely and bright.

However, the neighbours have complained that the reflection from the shed roof annoys them. The shed roof does face their bedroom window, although said window is about 40m from the shed in question…

I would like to minimise the reflection / glare they experience while still allowing the shed to be bright inside.

My initial thought is to go for some kind of anti-glare window film with then a stiff netting over the top of that?

Below is the netting I’m considering, does anyone have any suggestions as to a film that would work – or any other plans? I kind of wish I’d left the hedge in that they complained so much about…

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0052IVHPC/

Thanks in advance!

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

How about hanging some military camo netting over the shed roof, basha-style. I.e. Suspended over la washing line arrangement. You’ll still get some light but any reflection will be broken up. That’s what it’s designed for….

v666ern
    Free Member

Can you not put a small ‘fence’ up on top of the roof on the side that faces them, that way you won’t lose your light

http://www.catsofaustralia.com/images/doreen1.jpg

Edit like this

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    Markie
    Free Member

Thanks guys. Liking the camo idea.

I’d thought of a mini fence, but given the angles involved and the height the it would need to be it would take me past my planning permission height limits. They don’t want to put up a trellis because then it will cut light to their vege patch (the reason they didn’t like the hedge!)…

Edit: Heading round there to have a chat. Will off trellis and net options. Ace.

andyl
    Free Member

Scuff it up with a brillo pad? Will reduce light a bit though.

scruff9252

Change the angle of attack so its not directed at their window.

lesgrandepotato

Have you considered leaving it outside for a year or two. Should dull it down nicely

holdsteady

Tell them to just pull their curtains – sounds to me that they’ll just find something else to moan about anyway if you in some way resolve this issue for them. I had neighbours like this (I expect yours are retired old busybodies too?) who moaned about everything we ever did, in the end I just found it easier to ignore them rather than to succumb to their various whines – they didn’t like the colour of our shed and badgered the mrs so much I re-painted it a different shade of brown to shut them up , they also wanted me to check the old bloke wasn’t having an afternoon nap or his wife didn’t have a headache before I mowed the lawn etc etc they thought they owned the street as they’d lived there the longest and tried to bully everyone in it.

andyl
    Free Member

tint spray? Can normally get it for (stupidly) spraying on car lights to make them darker and look “cool”

Markie
    Free Member

I expect yours are retired old busybodies too?

Funnily enough, yes!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Just tell them you’ll have a think about what might be able to be done.

Then do just that. Have a think and do nothing else.

Surely any glare from it can only really be an issue for a very brief period on only the sunniest of days?

martinhutch

The algae growth will take care of it within 6 months.

onehundredthidiot

buy them some net curtains. Surprised they don’t have their own.

project
    Free Member

What ever you do or say want appease the great moaning old buggers of anynstreet, the more you do the more theyll wnat you to do.

A neighbour locally has complained about another neighbour storing a settee in their garage instead of a car, a security light lighting their garden, even when it want working,a rotten tree on waste ground between two properties,they reported it to the council who found out tree was usafe due to rot, they got a bill to chop it down,neighbours who complained about bushes overgrowing thrrough fence, so their next door neighbour got then cut back, neighboutr then complained about lack of privacy.

Perhaps dont work nude in shed if they can see through roof.

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

You should start writing a diary now.

It will be very useful evidence when you bring the council in so sort out your busy body neighbours for invading your privacy

CaptJon
    Free Member

Tell them you’ve consulted some experts and the recommendation is that as the roof weathers in the glare will reduce so they shouldn’t worry. Also suggest they don’t spend nice bright days in their bedroom looking at your garden.

csb

Tell them you’ll need them to keep a record for a whole year, a glare diary if you like, in order to know what mitigation might work due to change in in sun incidence. Then tell them its not detailed enough in a years time.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘how to reduce glare / reflection from polycarbonate shed roof?’ is closed to new replies.