Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • How to preload front 20mm hub bearings…
  • onceinalifetime
    Free Member

on a Rocky Mountain front 20mm carbon hub, as it's rocking side to side, backward and forward.

Headset seems fine as I made sure I preloaded correctly the headset, whilst clamped to a bike stand mind.

I thought you could only preload bearings on say Chris King or the like.?

Help much appreciated.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

no preload needed or possible. If it's wobbling they must be worn out or axle not done up.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

What fork?

Headset is best set up with the bike on the floor. Lock front brake, or turn wheel perpendicular, and rock back and forth.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Axle on the forks/wheel should be tight enough as I assembled properly, the bike on Friday, long light'ish ride Saturday.

I screwed the axle in first of all to finger tight then a wee more.
    Then secondly tightened pinch bolts up carefully to finger tight and no more so all ''should'' be good.

Maybe the hub bearings have had it and that it will need replacing, – can they be replaced would you know?

thankyou

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

@Three_Fish – It's a fox 36 (2006), and yes I know as I usually do the exact same method regarding headset setup.

For all I know it's on it's original bearings as it has had 2 seasons use as a demo bike.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

I'm guessing that I have answered my own question then no?

What I really need to know is if there's a way of preloading the bearings on this particular hub.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

What I really need to know is if there's a way of preloading the bearings on this particular hub.

I already said you can't, and cartridge bearings don't like preload unless tapered, surely ? In any case, preload doesn't fix wear…

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Sure thing, ok then so basically I can replace the bearings then?

Never done this operation before so might need to call in the A-Team.

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

so basically I can replace the bearings then?

yes. Find out what type of hub is is and someone will know how. Typically you displace the spacer between the bearings and knock them out with a drift (AKA screwdriver)

Skyline-GTR
    Free Member

The bearings will usally be one of 2 sizes. 6804 run direct on the axle, and 6805 run on a 24mm sleeve that the 20mm axle runs inside.
    It is possible to preload hub bearings with a 24mm sleeve. Mavic hubs run on this principle, as do Chris Bling, but it's so you can reduce side loading to let the hubs roll smoother. Not to take out side play from wear.

onceinalifetime
    Free Member

Ok then, thanks Si/skyline. 😀

simonfbarnes
    Free Member

but it's so you can reduce side loading to let the hubs roll smoother.

please could you explain how preloading reduces side loads ? Also, what side loads are there on a bicycle wheel bearing ?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘How to preload front 20mm hub bearings…’ is closed to new replies.