Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • How to plug Lightning headphones into a MacBook headphone port.
  • Gary_M
    Free Member

I bought my son new apple headphones for his birthday, but they come with a lightning cable so plug into his phone fine. What they don’t do is plug into his macbook as it’s got a headphone port.

Is there an adapter to plug lightning cable headphones into a standard headphone port?

I can’t find one.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

Lightning to 3.5mm headphone jack. £9 at the Apple Store.

miketually
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s possible, although the Internet hints at some sort of complex conversion via USB making use of the charge cable for the Apple Pencil. Or something.

You should buy a Mac, they just work.

miketually
    Free Member

Lightning to 3.5mm headphone jack. £9 at the Apple Store.

I think this allows you to plug 3.5mm headphones into the phone’s Lightning port, not Lightning headphones into a 3.5mm headphone port.

DezB
    Free Member

Nope, can’t get one. It’s cos Apple want to sell you Beats headphones for silly prices.

Or some normal headphones 😉

peterno51

OP wants a 3.5mm male to lightning female cable.

Hmmm.

Perhaps not…

Gary_M
    Free Member

I think this allows you to plug 3.5mm headphones into the phone’s Lightning port, not Lightning headphones into a 3.5mm headphone port.

Yes that’s right, they don’t seem to do one thta does the opposite.

Or some normal headphones

Except normal headphones won’t work in his phone without an adapter 🙂

Drac

Mine came with an adapter.

Oh wait. 😳

mikewsmith
    Free Member

maybe just let him play his music out loud….
    anyway only 4 months to Christmas

sbob
    Free Member

Buy him some wireless headphones instead.
    It’s apple; spending money is always the answer. 🙂

Gary_M
    Free Member

maybe just let him play his music out loud….

I don’t have a problem with that, but it’s not ideal when he’s on the bus to uni or watching a movie on the train.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

OP wants a 3.5mm male to lightning female cable.

Pfft, so he does. Sorry, wasn’t paying attention. I guess that converting the signal digital-to-analogue-to-digital makes it all somewhat convoluted, though I’m a little surprised there isn’t some kind of USB-C solution, given the port ‘options’ on the new MacBooks. Poor job, really.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I don’t have a problem with that, but it’s not ideal when he’s on the bus to uni or watching a movie on the train.

Probably cheaper to buy him a windows laptop 😉

nickdavies

Can’t do it to the 3.5mm jack, apple wont let anyone convert digital to analogue like that. They are keeping that back for their new UAC adapter.

Which a. Isn’t out yet, and b. Only works with the newest USB-C macs.

if they’re new can you swap them for normal headphones?

hammyuk
    Free Member

Just take them back and swap them for the 3.5mm version

CountZero

Phones with a Lightning connection are obviously designed for mobile devices, i.e. iPhones. A MacBook isn’t really a mobile device as most people would understand it.
    My solution is a pair of MeeAudio Pinnacle P1 headphones with a Shure Lightning cable that fits ‘phones that use the CCMX connection; that way I can just swap between the two cables the phones come with, 3.5mm with and without mic and remote, and the Lightning cable with mic and remote,
    Not a cheap option, the Shure cable is £89, and according to the boss of MeeAudio, just not possible to make any cheaper, but it’ll also fit the cheaper MeeAudio M6Pro, which are £36, half what Shure SE215’s cost, and if my experience with Shure ‘phones is anything to go by, probably more reliable.

GrahamS

Simple solution is to spend four months in China designing and building your own flexible circuit board so you can add the headphone jack back into an iPhone 7:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=utfbE3_uAMA[/video]

Easy.

footflaps

Simple solution is to spend four months in China designing and building your own flexible circuit board so you can add the headphone jack back into an iPhone 7:

Very impressive!

nickdavies

Just watched that and very interesting… but… he still can’t charge the phone and use headphones at the same time so what was the point?!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘How to plug Lightning headphones into a MacBook headphone port.’ is closed to new replies.