Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • How to play folk guitar?
  • Mowgli
    Free Member

I have a mate who plays a bit of fiddle, and it would be good to be able to play a few chords in backing. I can play a bit of guitar, but don’t know/remember much of the theory. Are there any basic rules or tips (e.g. keys or sets of chords?) for traditional Irish and Scottish folk? I’m not that familiar with the genre but he plays tunes a bit like some on this album.

Cheers!

robbieh
    Free Member

check out justinguitar.com and see if he,s got anything to help you.

Junkyard
    Free Member

If they are good and you are just backing it should be easy to do some traditional stuff – mainly open chords tbh whilst they embellish around this

What songs can they play – find a tab chord version of that and off you go

yes keys and chords have rules but you dont need to get too wound up in it to just play songs

eg
    http://www.guitaretab.com/i/irish-rovers/256616.html

its black velvet band

skaifan
    Free Member

Unplug it, play sitting down

Mowgli
    Free Member

Thanks guys 8)

hitman
    Free Member
    duntstick
    Free Member
    spchantler
    Free Member

best advice is to listen to others. oh and for jigs, its down up down, down up down, down up down on the left hand, if you can do that nicely it don’t matter what notes you play. i play in dropped d tuning, ie normal but with bottom e tuned down to d, and use a capo for different keys, i’m off to google for some nice players

adstick
    Free Member

Basic open chords, a capo and some minimal strumming will get you a long way, especially with a fiddle playing the melody. If you want to learn a few bass runs and some flat picking patterns it’ll help. I’m rubbish but I’m getting better and it’s really satisfying when you get a lick in. Go for it!

earbyphil
    Free Member

Mowgli
    If you have the basics of guitar all you need do is go to your local Folk Club and listen then join in. Or better still if your up North come to our Folk Clubs and give it a try.

andeh

Grow a beard, learn some cowboy chords and strum away.

spchantler
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JUrg7qG0Ak[/video]

spchantler
    Free Member

^^ this is ed boyd, one of the best tune backers around at the mo, also have a listen to lau, the best band band in the world

fizzicist
    Free Member

you’ll need lighter fluid, a match and an axe to be sure….

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘How to play folk guitar?’ is closed to new replies.