Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • How to package your eBay sale No. 761
  • robdob
    Free Member

Took a chance on this eBay listing.
    With the lowish price and free postage I wasn’t hopeful of a great packaging job.
    When our reception at work phoned me up to say “there’s a bike frame for you down here” I wondered – how do they know it’s a frame?

I soon found out.

[/list]

jam-bo

is that a 60 tooth chainring hiding in there?

robdob
    Free Member

I’m guessing that if it was, it may now be a 47.6 tooth chainring. Yes it’s poking out too. 🙁

toys19
    Free Member

oops.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

I’ve a similar frame package job turn up too! In fairness to the person i bought it off it only sold for 15 quid including postage. i’m suprised he posted it at all.

uwe-r
    Free Member

How much did you pay postage, if it just about covered the postage cost then you cant complain. You get what you pay for?

What frame is it?

allthepies
    Free Member

It’s because chain reaction now own all of the large cardboard boxes in the universe. They need them to send out individual hope disc brake washers.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

OP says free postage. You clearly get what you pay for…

nickf
    Free Member

It’s because chain reaction now own all of the large cardboard boxes in the universe. They need them to send out individual hope disc brake washers.

I’m sitting here at my desk shaking with laughter. Brilliant, completely brilliant!

RichieBoy
    Free Member

I bought a whole bike off ebay once, and it arrived fully built loosely covered in bubble wrap and parcel tape. I was amazed it was still in one piece. Shocking.

RustyMac

Do we get any pictures of it fully un-packed?

soma_rich
    Free Member

Come on what is it? Looks alloy with elevated chain stays?

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Now tell ’em why you bought it! 🙂

robdob
    Free Member

Ok. The XT rear mech was left loose on the gear cable inside that all, the pedals were turns backwards so they made the package smaller but obviously they could smash into the frame. The shifters were still on and loose in the package.

Amazingly nothing seems to have been damaged. Nothing that I can find anyway. The rear end is still at 135mm, dropouts are straight, headtube and seat tube top are ok. The Middleburn cranks (what I bought it for) are fine and so is the rear mech.

Sweet!!

robdob
    Free Member

Now tell ’em why you bought it!

Have done that now, but I’m not saying how much for…..

mountainchub
    Free Member

I think this is where CRC keep their box horde – ready to package hope mono mini phenolic pistons in gargantuan voluminous cardboard!

robdob
    Free Member

The frame, I think, is one of the early Merlin Malt frames with a disc mount. Looks a bit shabby as the lacquer has started to let go but it seems really light with nice welds and such. Hugggeeee down tube for some reason.

It’ll be for sale soon… 😀

robdob
    Free Member

I think this is where CRC keep their box horde – ready to package hope mono mini phenolic pistons in gargantuan voluminous cardboard!

All of their stock is in just one of those boxes.

Seriously though, I’ve been selling a few bits recently and I have struggled to find boxes.
    Weird.

binners

Sounds like its due a trip to the powder coater’s. What size is it? Just out of interest

Daffy

At least you can re-use the packaging….

robdob
    Free Member

It’s a 16″ C-C, 18″ C-T, 22.5″ TT.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I received a frame in bubble wrap recently.

Its condition had not deteriorated as a result and so I didn’t think much of it.

robdob
    Free Member

I’ve left positive feedback but mentioned that the packaging was terrible. Hopefully he will take better care in future.

wwaswas

I ‘ve received a pair of wheels bought on here wrapped in a single bin liner and with about 3″ of parcel tape used to stop the bag opening up. he’d taped the QR’s to a spoke with some electrical tape. Other than that it was just a pair of wheels in there.

Hadge
    Free Member

We got one sent to work like that the other day but it did at least have lots of bubble wrap on it. It does make you wonder why they don’t go to a bike shop and ask for a frame box.

the-muffin-man

A well known member of this site sent me a frame packaged like that once – bin liner and a few bits of bubble wrap – and it was a Cotic Soul! Amazingly it arrived unharmed.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Chain Reaction add another disc brake bolt to an order

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6-rQ6Jay6w[/video]

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

LOL @ Munge Chick, very funny! 😆

neilc1881
    Free Member

I recieved a ‘sorry you were out’ type card from the Royal Mail this week, got me very excited as I’ve been waiting on a Pompetamine Versa to come through from on-one. The box ticked was ‘package was too large’. Good news thinks I, particularly as a couple of weeks back I arranged for them to take a bike from home to it’s new owner. The postie complained it was too big for his van and had to come back later for it.
    Anyway, to cut a really long story slightly shorter, I went down to Brecon and found that my bike was actually a pair of Hope Pro2 20mm adapters in a box big enough for a wheel (nearly). The bloke on the desk nearly had to carry me to my car.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Ha! I had the same this week. 2 notes through the door when I got home from work (for a phone cover and pair of rigid forks) despite a note cellotaped to the door clearly saying ‘PLEASE KNOCK AND RING BELL, THERE IS SOMEONE AT HOME (IF NO ANSWER, PARCELS MAY BE LEFT INSIDE LEFT-HAND GARAGE)’ 👿 Blind postie I guess 🙄

takisawa2

I wonder, how do they package bubble wrap for posting ?

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘How to package your eBay sale No. 761’ is closed to new replies.