• This topic has 14 replies, 13 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • How to make a PC kid safe?
  • 40mpg

Just bought a netbook for my daughter (for 14th birthday) and want to make it reasonably content-safe. OK so it fairly obvious with some of the IE settings etc but how can I stop her switching these off (she's a fiddler like me) – can i set up an administrator account to only have control of these settings, and if so how?

spooky_b329

The default log on will be the admin account, so you'd need to go into the control panel to create a user account for your daughter.

Does your broadband supplier provide any software to control whats going on? I think BT Broadband does.

johnners
    Free Member

Depending on the OS I think Windows accounts are admin by default. Set up a restricted account for her, the idea being that any nasties she runs into won't run with system privileges.

spooky_b329

Probably be good to look into using Firefox instead of IE, must be add-ons out there that can control content. You then just have to work out how to stop IE working, suspect thats quite difficult unless you can just block access on the user account to IE.

porterclough
    Free Member

Control panel, user accounts and family safety.

Defintely create a new user account for her that is not administrator.

tomdebruin
    Free Member

Have a look at Microsoft Family Safety:

http://download.live.com/familysafety

crispybacon
    Free Member

you might also want to be very careful when putting in your 'admin' password on the PC when Miss 40mpg is around.

It's surprising how quick the little angels pick these things up & before you know it they are in charge not you 🙂

tinribz
    Free Member

I just bought this primarily for antivirus, not got round to installing yet but it has parental control stuff too.

http://www.kaspersky.co.uk/kaspersky_internet_security

Plus you get 3 licences to put on 3 pcs.

JohnnyPanic

As above, go to Control Panel, User Accounts and create a new 'Limited' account & password for her to use. Whilst you're at it create a password for your existing account, or if there's already one, change it to something only you know.

Then, using your existing account, download and install something like Blue Coat's K9 Web Protection software (google it). It's free content filtering software for tinternet, very customisable and very tough to circumvent from the 'limited' account you have just created for her.

If the AntiVirus / Firewall software on it (you did get A/V & firewall software didn't you?) has the option – password protect that as well. Stops the little darlings turning off the stuff that is preventing them from downloading or executing the latest trojans. 🙂

If you need free AV Firewall options that include password protection then Comodo seems to do the job.

upsetter
    Free Member

2nd Blue Coat K9 software, you can overide it with your account if needed as it filters out quite a bit including things like Ann Summers etc.

upsetter

antigee

just started using the kapersky product but make sure you get the right one not all include the kids option seems ok to date

my little darlings use google for everything and there are options in google search to limit content – just to the right of the search box

same problem here kids can log a password entry in one go

Onzadog
    Free Member

ask a 7 year old

rumbledethumps
    Free Member

NetNanny is good.

jonb
    Free Member

Don't let her use the computer alone? Only using it in a room with other members of the family would be a good safety measure. Unlikely with a teenage girl.

I'd certainly block STW!

Drac

Most routers will allowing blocking of selected sites and possibly keywords.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘How to make a PC kid safe?’ is closed to new replies.