Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • How to maintain weight loss after illness, and regain strength
  • cakefest
    Free Member

Over the past six months I was treated for cancer with both surgery and radiotherapy. There’s no doubt that both parts have taken huge chunks of my strength away, and that is rebuilding very slowly indeed. But it’s also left me at a weight that I haven’t seen on the scales for about 5 years and I’m wondering if I can do anything with that.

I usually weigh about 13 stones at this time of year. At the moment I weigh 11.5 stones.

Two weeks ago I picked up a vomiting virus that knocked me right back. My immune system is so busy dealing with repairing the radiotherapy damaage that it was open to something like this, and it hit me hard.

But if I can rebuild myself in the right way, I’ll be an absolute monster!

Before being ill two weeks ago with the vomiting virus I was on the bike twice per week doing about an hour of very gentle offroad, trying to listen to my body. Each day I also spent 25 mins in the morning and afternoon riding gently on a turbo trainer.

I’m currently self-employed and work at home, with plenty of time to rest.

So, what’s the best way to keep my weight low, and rebuild my strength on the bike to turn into that demon of power and low weight that I’ve dreamed of for a while.

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Hmmm. Have you got any stats on height, waist measurement etc that we can think about too?

Trying to gauge how lean you are… has the weight loss been muscle or fat?

cakefest
    Free Member

Height is 5ft9in. Waist measurement is 34in, usually 35in. Not sure whether loss was muscle or fat -suspect fat – but how would I know?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    trail_rat
    Free Member

unfortunantly one of the downsides from radiotherapy as far as i could gather from such technical handbooks as “its not about the bike” by lance armstrong is severe muscle atrophy 🙁

But look on this as he did – in a positive light as you have shown above that you now have a blank canvas to rebuild the new more powerful you !

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘How to maintain weight loss after illness, and regain strength’ is closed to new replies.