Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • how to lighten up an enduro??
  • renton
    Free Member

Ive got an 06 enduro and from my previous post am considering swapping it for a stumpy full suss.

before i go ahead i was wondering if it would be worth trying to lighten the enduro up a bit.

i know its never going to bea20lbs race machine but im pretty sure its on the wrong side of 35lbs at the moment.

current spec is as follows………

06 enduro frame with 5th element shock
    fox 35 rc2 forks
    xt ht2 chainset
    sram 971 cassette and chain
    slx rear mech
    xt front mech and shifters
    sdg ibeam micro post and saddle
    xt disc brakes with 8 inch rotors
    wheels from a pitch which are dt rims shimano hubs
    michelin all mountain tyres 2.2
    spesh stem and gravity710mm bars

can you see anywhere i can lose a bit of weight without spending shit loads of cash on it as i might aswell buy another bike then??

cheers

steve

benji_allen
    Free Member

Tyres and wheels are a good place to start. Reducing the rolling weight can make a huge difference, even if it doesn't reduce the overall weight of the bike by much. Or something like that, there's some physics involved somewhere.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Apart from the wheels there is something major you can do; it will cost a bit but it's a lot cheaper than buying a new bike and it also has the advantage of actually improving the ride.

In 2006 the Enduro base models actually came with a 5" fork and 5" of rear wheel travel from a shorter DHX air can. This was done to build the bike to a lower price point as Spesh couldn't get a budget 6" fork they were happy with. The forks were QR rather than 20mm.

Spesh UK may have some of these shorter eye to eye/stroke air cans as spares. I bought one for around £150 and fitted it to my 2005 Enduro in order to lighten the whole thing up by also adding a lighter fork. At the time that was the RS Revolution, but now it would be the Reba, which is 130mm and QR or 20mm.
    By dropping the Fox 36 you can save something like 2 lbs overall weight. Add that to a lighter wheel set and tyres and you could easily knock off 4 lbs in total. This modification also drops the BB height a little (which really improves the handling) but keeps the head angle constant.

Your other areas of saving will be to go to 160mm rotors; look at the bars and stem as these can often be heavier than needed.

In the end I had an Enduro that weighed just under 30lbs and rode like s**t off a shovel.

Finally are you sure that the bike as is is more than 35lbs? That seems very heavy considering they were usually around 33lbs.

mickasaki
    Free Member

Wheels and tyres, then forks, more XC bars?. Depends what you use the bike for as to how realistic you are with weight savings. No point fitting light bits if you are just going to trash them!

coolhandluke
    Free Member

Blimey, my 06 S-works enduro is a very lardy 38Lbs on my scales.

Fox 36's and a DHX coil shock though along with silly heavy rims and when it had 2.5 high rollers

It was lift assisted upwards though, in that build 😀

druidh
    Free Member

Usual rule applies – expect to pay around £1 per gram lost. I'd be questioning whether my style of riding need an Enduro and be looking to build around a lighter frame.

Notter
    Free Member

As per your previous thread I found moving to tubeless (Hope Pro 2 with 819 tims) to make a massive difference. I've not weighed it mind you, might do that having given it a bit of TLC this afternoon and I'll list the spec.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I agree with onion there.

Enduro's are not a light bike and were never meant to be.

Read this lot.

beefing up an Enduro

renton
    Free Member

cheers for the replies!!

im getting frustrated with myself as i like the enduro but i dont like its weight!!

im not into jumping or dropping off everything but would like a bike to be able to do a jump or 2 if ever i feel the need.

i guess by having the enduro im massively over biked fr the type of riding i do.

im taking th stumpy out tomorrow to see how i get on with that.

cheers

steve

Notter
    Free Member

Interesting, just did some quick weighing and my Enduro is coming in at 31 lbs (oddly the same weight as my Trance which pedals much lighter!!). Enduro spec is as follows:

2006 Enduro Expert frame, DHX Air 5 shock.
    Fox 36 Talas R Fork
    SRAM X9 rear mech
    Shimano LX front mech
    X7 Shifters
    Cane Creek Headset
    Truvativ Stylo crankset & BB (2 ring and bash)
    Blackspire chainguide
    Mavic 819 rims on Hope Pro 2 Hubs
    SRAM PG950 Cassette
    Maxxis High Roller LUST tyres
    Thomson x4 Stem
    Thomson Elite seatpost
    Easton EA50 OS Bars
    ODI Lock Ons
    SDG Bel Air
    Avid Juicy 7, 8" rotor front, 7" rear
    Easton Flatboy pedals (which weigh the same as a brick each!)

Glad I cleaned it up now, I've not been out on it since breaking my finger at Kirroughtree with it in April!

grumm
    Free Member

im not into jumping or dropping off everything but would like a bike to be able to do a jump or 2 if ever i feel the need.

i guess by having the enduro im massively over biked fr the type of riding i do.

I reckon so. I have a Pitch which I guess is about 32-33lbs now, but I weigh 16 stone, ride mostly in the Lakes and like to get two wheels off the ground as often as possible.

Sounds like a stumpy might be more suited really and I think trying to make the Enduro light might be a bit of a waste of time/money.

Notter
    Free Member

Oh and a Hope QR seatclamp 😉

renton
    Free Member

cheers notter , that spec isnt far off mine to b honest!

i cant understand why mines so heavy??

is yours a large??

Notter
    Free Member

Yep, it's a large. The forks and wheels seem to be where our specs differ the most, don't know if that will make 4 or 5 lbs of difference though.

My weighing wasn't exactly scientific, bathroom scale and weighing myself with the bikes so I could be a pound or so out.

renton
    Free Member

would there be much difference between my 36 rc2 talas and your forks

Notter
    Free Member

Ah sorry, thought yours were Vans. In that case it's just the wheels!

renton
    Free Member

i need a wheel set made of air then i think!!

Notter
    Free Member

Thinking it through a bit, as I mentioned above my Trance (2007 vintage, 4" travel both ends) is near as dammit the same weight as the Enduro and yet I would have sworn it was lighter form how they both ride.

I presume the geometry is key to it in that the Enduro is angled for the downs more than the ups. Sounds like it'll depend very much on where (and how!) you ride most as to which bike will come out on top.

I ride my Trance more for local riding (Swinley) but will use the Enduro for more play oriented rides there. But I do a good number of Welsh & Scottish visits where the Enduro really shines.

Good luck!

renton
    Free Member

im more of an xc /singletrack rider than downhiller

only ben to wales once (afan) and i ride cannock chase about once a month!!

i am overbiked then!!

adstick
    Free Member

Have you tried fiddling with the shock? You're right it'll never be a light bike (though yours sounds heavy for the parts on it), but it's fantastically versatile. If your riding is strictly wheels on the ground then maybe it's too much but otherwise I'd stick with it and see about setting it up better. The handling and liveliness is dramatically affected by sag and damping settings. In fact it might be worth a new better shock, you could talk to Mojo about a custom Van R or large volume RP23, which I'm sure would improve it.

I'd be gutted if I was without my 06 enduro, I don't think there's a bike out there now that I'd replace it with…

Notter
    Free Member

I'd imagine the Stumpy will come out on top if that's your staple. I love my Trance and wouldn't want to use anything else if I'm out on my own for a singletrack blast, it absolutely flies along. But I do enjoy jumps / drops so couldn't be without the Enduro.

Either way they're both great bikes and it's all about whichever one you enjoy most. Let us know how you get on tomorrow!

adstick
    Free Member

If you're fairly XC then yes it's probably a bit slow and heavy. They sell reasonably well…

PJ266
    Free Member

I just weighed my Cove Stiffee and it weighs 31 pounds. Im not happy.

Notter
    Free Member

By the way, don't think the Stumpy can't / won't handle the odd jump, it may be more of an XC bike than the Enduro but it's still a mountainbike!

My Trance copes with my lardy attempts……

adstick
    Free Member

absolutely.

renton
    Free Member

i think another part of the problem is that the stumpy ive been offered a straight swap with is a much lower spec bike than mine ??

its got juicy 5 , origianl xtr mech, deore shifters etc etc.

i dont know what to do!!!

allthepies
    Free Member

Give all the entrants a joint ?

mickasaki
    Free Member

Why not try and get a frame/fork swap, or have you already tried that option? someone must be interested! Always seems to be a market for Fox 36 forks on here if you price them right.

renton
    Free Member

yeah i have (take a look at my posting history

mickasaki
    Free Member

Just had a look! nice looking bike isn't it! Have you tried selling the frame seperatly from the forks? I know its more work but may solve your problem! I should think you would get about £275ish for the forks alone and about that for the frame. If you managed that you would have a good amount to do some haggling on what you really want! ( wouldn't be a wolf ridge frame by any chance?)!

Notter
    Free Member

From what you've said about your riding preferance and locations it pains me to say I don't think you'll get the Enduro to a state you'll be happy with. You can lighten it up but it'll still probably feel a bit sluggish, due to the general riding position. The Stumpy will probably feel tighter and more flickable through flat-ish forest trails and will probably accelerate a little bit better.

Have you weighed the 2 bikes side by side? I wonder how much of a weight difference there is between them?

And if the spec is that much better on your Enduro could you ask for a bit of cash on top of the swap?

brakes
    Free Member

my 06 Enduro is around 30lb
    main spec is as follows:

DHX Air 140mm
    RS Revelations 140mm w/maxle
    XT drivetrain
    Mavic XM rims on Hope Bulb front and ProII rear
    Thomson stem and post
    Magura Louise brakes
    Maxxis High Rollers single ply
    Crank Bros Candy or Easton Flatboy pedals

I wouldn't want it any lighter for the stuff I ride

PJM1974
    Free Member

I love the '05-06 Enduro (I have an '04 model), I came very close to buying one in fact.

Lightening a bike isn't a straightforward process. I bought a Marin Quad 140 and swapped saddle, brakes, seatpost, tyres and shifters. I expected to see a big saving of weight but was shocked to discover my bike weighed in at 34.1lb; I'd saved about 400 grammes on the original weight.

The best thing I ever did is swap to a tubeless setup on custom Hope / Mavic wheels (Bulb / XM719). Next up I switched the Pike Coil for a Pike Air I had already fitted to my Enduro, followed by a Thomson stem.

I've now got an aggressive 5.5" bike which weighs in at 29.8lb and hasn't sacrificed any stiffness. The cost has been reasonable, a low specc'ed bike is cheaper to lose substantial amounts of weight from than a top of the range model.

jezzscarratt
    Free Member

Stares to the distance!!!

Tracey

Katies weighs in at 31lbs, mine at 34lbs, got some wheels to fit to it that will drop it a bit further

Tracey

PJM1974
    Free Member

I do love that Enduro Tracey, the colour is spot on.

If I saw a secondhand 2005/6 Enduro frame in my size I'd probably go for it…

More Enduro pics please.

renton
    Free Member

Tracey i hate it when you post that picture up!!goddammit 😀

it makes me want to get my frame powdercoated and keep it.

ive been out for a good long walk with my dog and been thinking about this a lot.

i love the riding position on the enduro, it give me loads of confidence on the ruff stuff and steep drops etc, but… it feels sluggish steering wise and feels a bit long(try a shorter stem prehaps??)

coming from a 456 inbred though its loads better.

also it could be the tyres, i bought these http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=20411 to replace some really heavy tyres that the bike came with.

now whilst they are half the weight the drag like a draggy thing in syrup!! you get the picture.

Also im 18 stone and am quite hard on kit so a bike like the stumpy is possibly going to feel a bit flexy compaired to the enduro.

the thing thats making me think keep the enduro though is the fact ive spent 200 quid odd on new bits for it and got it running sweet!!(new mech,cassette chain etc!)

the stumpy needs a shock bush doing and a strip down of the front brake as the piston is sticking a bit, it also needs new tyres.

to be honest ive only had the enduro for about 3 months and rode possibly no more than 10 times since .

here is a piccy of her btw for pjm1974………….

it is nice isnt it!!!

james
    Free Member

"At the time that was the RS Revolution, but now it would be the Reba, which is 130mm ..
    .. but keeps the head angle constant"
    Its a Revelation. Rebas only go upto 120mm even now
    It wouldn't keep the head angle constant, not even bottomed out as Fox 36s are more than 30mm taller than 130mm Rev's. A shorter stroke shock may well do though?

"expect to pay around £1 per gram lost"
    But bear in mind that can be a pretty poor exchange and you should find a fair few weight savings a fair bit better value than that

"why mines so heavy??"
    How clean is it? There could be a few pounds of mud covering it. Try washing your frame out as best you can too. Some frames collect mud quite well

"difference between my 36 rc2 talas and your forks"
    100g tops. They're both 36 Talas which are 2.5kg(ish)
    (A 36 Float R is about 2.1kg, A 36 Van R is 2.3kg btw)

It looks as if you could drop weight off almost every component, but you'd have to replace just about everything. Unless you replace everything only after you break it, it might make sense

PJM1974
    Free Member

Thanks Renton, that's a helluva bike.

Far stiffer and burlier than my '04, the only thing I've ridden that matches the outright stiffness and "grrrness" factor is the Marin Quad, however the view of Dirt Magazine is that the '05 Enduro is the definitive trail bike.

A mate of mine had an '05 SX Trail, a fantastic machine that pedalled with resolve but handled the drops with the utmost confidence. He's replaced it with an '08 bike but I can't help thinking he made a mistake.

I was feeling the same about mine – it had become a real pain to drag round the rides we were doing. So, I sold it and built an '08 S-Works – it's awesome; similar performance but 28lb. Not quite as bombprooof but enough bike for me

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘how to lighten up an enduro??’ is closed to new replies.