• This topic has 4 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by tdog.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • How to know if fork/shock air chambers are not equalised? (Suspension setup)
  • tdog
    Free Member

Maiden voyage tomorrow hence rushed query now 😳

So new bike bought, modern pikes and modern fox dps evol fitted.
    Unsure if I have unequalised air in both of them.
    Fork is a 140 that came with 2x bottom out tokens (grey coloured) in spares bag but unsure if there are any already fitted.
    Appreciating the fact it’s Fri eve and not wanting to mess about now, has anyone got any pointers or knowledge of this and for when to use bottom out tokens for us BIG BLOKES.

Thankyou 🙂

darrenspink
    Free Member

Very simple way. Set your fork to around 20-25% sag, ride varied terrain including jumps/drops etc. If you bottom out (but you like how the fork feels ok over standard terrain) add a token. If the fork feels to soft, add air instead and repeat.

tdog
    Free Member

Thanks, that was a fair bit simpler explanation than the youtube sram tech guy.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Pretty much, although don’t forget you can do similar with the compression adjustment. The difference is spring adjustments are position sensitive (i.e. it will have an effect at different points in the travel), whereas damping is speed sensitive. The obvious place you’d see a difference is a long rough berm or a rough landing where the fork is working much deeper in it’s travel.

The easiest way to find out which does what is to go overboard on each setting in turn, so if it bottoms out ad all the tokens and see how it feels. Then go back to the standard number but add loads of compression damping.

tdog
    Free Member

Ahhh yes right you are, kinda making more and more sense now.
    I rode today on a long rockyish descent with shocks both in pedal assist mode without opening up the compression doo dars.

Felt good though and am impressed so far of RS Pike fork. Previous forks of theirs were bad and a shortt experience for me.

Thanks guys 🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘How to know if fork/shock air chambers are not equalised? (Suspension setup)’ is closed to new replies.