Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • How to keep up fitness with buggered knee?
  • Leku
    Free Member

So my Medial Collateral Ligament sprain may be worse than originally thought. After a month of only the lightest exercise the knee is still stollen and sore. Have had 4 sessions of physio.

I have a month of swimming and light road rides (30 mins with flats rather than spd’s) planned. Any other suggestions?

Sit-Ups?

Have a week in Italy booked for the end of September and would like to have some fittest by then (without re-buggering knee).

perchypanther
    Free Member

After a month of only the lightest exercise the knee is still stollen and sore.

Sounds painful and yummy in equal measure.

munro
    Free Member

Get some hand paddles and a pull buoy for your swimming to increase the aerobic effort (former) and protect your knee (latter).

Personally I think proper fit at swimming sees me through better than other cardio stuff.

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

Swimming and light riding seems like a decent way to go.

How would the knee be on a Concept2 rowing machine ?

Leku
    Free Member

I’m off to Northern Spain for August so swimming and cycling are easy to do. I won’t have gym access.

I was intended to do some surf lessons but that may be a bad idea?

hand paddles and a pull buoy

Good call.

oldtalent
    Free Member

My right leg is like a twig after 2 months of ongoing knee injury.
    I’m just going to get fat & wait for it to get better.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Cycle, sticking to the smallest chainring?

And get some Time ATAC pedals, great for weak knees.

At the gym, stick to rowing machine and cross-country, they will give you a good cardio workout and burn serious calories.

ElShalimo

I’ve spent a lot of time injured over the last 6/7 years with back, knee and hamstring issues. One thing I’ve noticed is that your core strength disappears after a period of inactivity. Maybe some pilates will help you in two ways, 1) improve core strength and 2) increase flexibility which as a regular cyclist you will probably need.
    I’ve been doing it for over a year and can feel the benefits from it. Give it a go and see if you like it.

Leku
    Free Member

Time ATAC pedals

– going to switch road bike to flats

pilates

– Do I need a class? or YouTube ok?

ransos
    Free Member

So my Medial Collateral Ligament sprain may be worse than originally thought. After a month of only the lightest exercise the knee is still stollen and sore. Have had 4 sessions of physio.

I had the same injury earlier this year. Sports physio was invaluable so stick with it.

As for health, my big mistake was to carry on eating and drinking like I was exercising regularly. It took months to shift the lard once I was able to start cycling again.

Leku
    Free Member

Yeah…

Up 3kg in 4 weeks. Have now stopped elevenses.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Swim and run in the pool

jairaj

– going to switch road bike to flats

Not totally sure this is a good thing? Yes you can reposition your foot very easily on flats but my flats have absolutely zero float which might be a bad thing?

seanrobertson88
    Free Member

I’ve had knee reconstruction recently: ACL, MCLand ALL – fun stuff… The exercises that I feel I have benefited from most are probably:
    1. Lying down leg raises, but with the the foot slightly rotated out the way in order to engage the quad just above your MCL. (use ankle weights when it’s too easy)
    2. Leg straightening with a rolled up towel below the knee – keep the underside of the knee pressed against the towel and straighten the lower leg and hold again using ankle weights when it’s too easy
    3. loads of balance work. Start by just standing on one leg, I then bought an air cushion from amazon which can be inflated/ deflated to alter the challenge.
    Definitely swimming and running in the pool but don’t go for breast stroke, v bad idea!
    Good Luck!!

ransos
    Free Member

1. Lying down leg raises, but with the the foot slightly rotated out the way in order to engage the quad just above your MCL. (use ankle weights when it’s too easy)
    2. Leg straightening with a rolled up towel below the knee – keep the underside of the knee pressed against the towel and straighten the lower leg and hold again using ankle weights when it’s too easy

These were two of the exercises given to me by my physio. Also sliding my foot in and out when I’m sitting down, which was a good one as I could do it at my work desk.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Bust my knee in 2012

Has the physio given you excersizes (if not why not?) do those (edit: as per above are good)
    Swimming can definitely be good but you have tomprotect your knee so little kicking flex from knee – either straight leg or as per above a board you hood between your thighs
    Weights and upper body excersizes can add tone and help with cardio
    Press ups, sit ups etc
    If you can take the stairs not the lift, often going up is better than down discomfort wise

IME concept2 rower was not good when knee hadn’t properly recovered

If knee bothers you after excersize ice it (buy a reusable freezer pack) and also listen to your body and don’t do too much of whatever is making it hurt !

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘How to keep up fitness with buggered knee?’ is closed to new replies.