Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • How to hang a bike?
  • AndyRT
    Free Member

I’ve had enough. I need space. Show me your space saving garage bike storage solutions

honourablegeorge

Clug?

Junkyard
    Free Member

By the wheel

stumpy01

[url=https://flic.kr/p/krcmvP]13-10-20 DSCN5261[/url] by STW stumpy01, on Flickr

Hung on cheap hooks with the back wheel resting on the floor.
    The hooks are on Arris rail so the bikes sit at 45 degree with an eye to saving space.

They still stick out a bit too far though for me.
    I plan to get rid at some point and go for 2 up 2 down against the wall with the lower ones just leaning on the wall and the top ones mounted on one of those long pronged hanging racks.

AndyRT
    Free Member

Stumpy01, I like your thinking! It is necessary to top to rail to fit them all in. I shall investigate further

stumpy01

AndyRT – I didn’t top to tail mine in their current state. It takes up a fair amount of wall though and if I were you, I would measure out how far they protrude and see if that is acceptable.

When I swap them to two up, two down I will be top and tailing them, I think.

moonsaballoon

I have 3 hanging from hooks like the one junkyard posted , they work fine but they do stick out quite far and take up a lot of floor space . When I get round to it I’m going to get angles and put them flat against the wall

thetallman
    Free Member

Fixed a couple of screw in hooks into the wall, then rested a 2″ diameter steel aerial mast in the hooks and attached the bike hooks onto stainless steel rings. This allows me to slide bikes out of the way of each other.

Only two small holes needed in the wall, as the rear wheels rest on the ground, which puts very little weight on the pole.

scotroutes

Top to tail. Well off the floor so you can store stuff underneath.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I just got some cheap plastic coated screw-in hooks from B&Q and some rawl plugs. Keeps the bike nice and steady laterally.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I hang mine from the rafters using the cheapy bike hooks from Halfords. Only problem is the trend for 2 metre wide handlebars means they hang in the middle of the garage.

There must be a better way…..

DT78
    Free Member

If space is an issue you can get bikes much closer by removing front wheel, replace the axle. Turn handlebars so parallel to tube. Use hook at the right height. Wheel can go above or between frames.

scaredypants

oooh, I like thetallman’s slidey idea

damascus
    Free Member

Don’t hang it by the saddle if you have a dropper post.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘How to hang a bike?’ is closed to new replies.