Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • How to go tubless on Stan's ZTR crest rims.
  • Tupper

I have a pair of Industry Nine hubs built onto ZTR crest rims and want to go tubeless. So, not being able to see this exact flavour on CRC I bought the 1 piece valve and rim strip for the flow but it seems to wide (25mm same as the rim) and I simply cannot get it to seat. ( tried with a mate that has done a few). I am now thinking I need the 21mm yellow tape with separate valves as the edge of the rim is fairly shallow.
    My question is, has anyone sorted these rims to go tubeless and can confirm I am on the right track before I spend more money at CRC. I tried calling but they were unusually not convincing on the phone.
    cheers Tupper

hamishthecat
    Free Member

You just need the yellow tape and separate valve. The whole point of Stan’srims is that you can go tubeless without the rim strips.

You need reinforced tape too – or plenty of wraps of electrical tape, to stop the yellow tape being pushed into the spoke holes.

Edit: I bought a big roll of the blue (Mavic? – don’t think so but can’t remember brand) tubeless rim tape which is quite a bit cheaper than the Stan’s stuff.

Tupper

Thanks mate. Helpful. I will push on and purchase tape an valves separately if no opposing advice in the next hour. 🙂
    cheers

bugcab
    Free Member

Easy job with the Stans yellow tape and valve kit. I bought a bigger bottle of the fluid as works out cheaper (and needs to be changed after a while).

Northwind

Superstar’s tape and valves is better value than Stans and works just as well in my experience.

Hamish, sounds like roval stuff?

TiRed

My Stans valves never sealed. Found the yellow tape to be inferior to Gorilla tape. My Nobby Nic tubeless ready would not seat for long and were a nightmare to mount. Went back to tubes!

br
    Free Member

I’ve two sets of Crests; just used Stans valves and the right yellow tape. No problems with pretty much any (new) tyre, latex and a compressor 🙂

johnnystorm

Schwalbes used to be shit on stans, they’ve changed and are fine now. 1″ gorilla tape and trim the edges with a craft knife. Superstar valves, gloop and normal track pump should do it.

cp

Stans or superstar valves and yellow tape. I’ve used reinforced tape off eBay before with no issues.

Tupper

Great feedback! A few different strands but will go with the Stans stuff to match the rims and if it fails it goes back. Will be trying to mount Maxxis HR and Advantage

bartimaeus
    Free Member

Superstar valves and yellowtape with Stans sealant here. Once I got the knack of getting the tyres on it all seemed very straightforward… I only needed one push with a lever to get the tyres seated last time, and they went up with the track pump no problem.

steve_b77
    Free Member

As said up there, Stans yellow tape & valves, follow the tutorial videos on their website and use proper tubeless ready tyres like 2bliss, tlr etc

jonnyrockymountain

On crest rims the narrow stans yellow tape 20mm watch the you tube video on how to put on valves tubeless ready tyres and some stans latex liquid if I can do it, anyone can

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Hamish, sounds like roval stuff?

Spot on – I remember now…

Northwind

johnnystorm – Member

Schwalbes used to be shit on stans, they’ve changed and are fine now.

Wasn’t just stans btw, I had one of the famous “too tight” nics and it wouldn’t bead onto my 819s either. Good old schwalbe.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘How to go tubless on Stan's ZTR crest rims.’ is closed to new replies.